Thread: confused about applying for housing benefit

confused about applying for housing benefit

Hi, I've just been given the keys to a flat which I love and am super excited about having my own place.

The only thing is, the housing officer told me that until I officially move in, I will have to find the rent out of my own money, as the government does not pay for a vacant house, even though the lease has already started. And I won't be moving in properly for at least another week.

I've never rented before. So when will I have to pay this rent? At the end of the month, or sooner? I only get ESA which is £115 a fortnight, and the rent is £300 a month. So I don't even receive £300 a month. How am I going to pay this?

Will it go into arrears, or will I be kicked out? I've got the housing form, I'm confused as to what to tell them. If I move in after two weeks, does that mean I only have to pay 2 weeks rent and the welfare will pay the rest?

Re: confused about applying for housing benefit

Oh my Lord! You shouldn't be paying any rent (or very little)!

So are they helping you with the rent in the place you are living now? That would be why they wouldn't pay on the new one, they aren't going to pay for two flats. I don't quite know the situation you are in. I do know that you couldn't possibly be expected to pay £300 a month. You need to fill out that form as soon as possible and tell that exactly what you have told us here. Only go into more detail as you really haven't said a lot.

Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau they will help you.

Els
    xx

Re: confused about applying for housing benefit

Although it was over 8 years ago now I got my house in September of that year and never moved in until December. I got full housing benefit as I was on Maternity Leave but hadn't worked long enough to claim Mat pay so had to go on income support. I wasn't even asked my move in date at the time, but as you can probably tell I was in no hurry to move from my parental home haha.
    We've been in arrears loads with me no longer working and one minute my partner is part time, the next he's full time and our landlord has been good with us (although it's a housing association). We were told just to pay as much as we could afford as long as we were paying something.
    It's awful having money issues especially when you are unable to work. When my partner is part time we've worked out that we get exactly the same as we would me claiming ESA or him claiming JSA and it's just not fair (excluding child tax credits and child benefit as they stay the same regardless). Also yes I'd imagine you will get housing benefit for 2 weeks of the month, so hopefully you'll 'only' owe £150.

Thread Information