Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading

Re: Reading

I read travel books, Levison Wood has 4 books and all are great if you're into that sort of thing, he also has a couple of TV shows about his expeditions

Just finished kindred by Octavia Butler, fabulous fabulous book

The Hunters by Chris Kuzneski.

Just finished Andy Hamilton 'the Star Witness' , great fun book

( guy who wrote Drop the Dead Donkey )

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

If you want to friend me on Good Reads
    https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/12267884-tony

Stuff on how the universe expanded out of the big bang, very challenging but rewarding as is anything that tells you how messed up this universe is, some good old classic Goosebumps and Oliver Twist by Dickens.
    ''...an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium - the bitter lapse into everyday life, the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart, an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.''

currently reading a couple of books in parallel: -

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds II ( short Trek stories ) - really good fun short adventures
    The Chequy 2: Stilleto - very dissapointing after a great first book, far too much exposition
    Future Home of the Living God - Lovely prose but a little dull for me
    Doctor Who: Plague City - Good Doctor Who hokum, really enjoyable

Half A King by Joe Abercrombie.

Excellent so far 100 pages in. I loved the first book of his, The Heroes, excellent characters. Better than Game Of Thrones for me, better writing than Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Half A King by Joe Abercrombie.

Excellent so far 100 pages in. I loved the first book of his, The Heroes, excellent characters. Better than Game Of Thrones for me, better writing than Martin.
    I really got into Joe Abercrombie about 3 years ago. Read about 5 of his books in 3 months. Really great characters, mostly anti-hero, great prose and great adventure

I love reading and spend several hours a day doing it. It also calms me down for sleep.

Excellent books I’ve read recently:-

A Man Called Ove - Fredrick Blackman. A beautiful book, it made me cry and laugh out loud.

The Book of Strange New Things - Michel Faber. One of the best I have ever read. Stunning.

Year of Wonders - Geraldine Brooks. Based on a true story of the plague in a Derbyshire village. Amazing.

All of C J Sansom’s Tudor detective stories and his other two books. Wonderful writer.

Susan Hill’s Serailler novels. I love her.

I could go on and on. Love this thread. I have jotted down some of the recommendations.

I’m lucky in that I can still read when I’m feeling bad. I always have that. 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    I love reading and spend several hours a day doing it. It also calms me down for sleep.

Excellent books I’ve read recently:-

A Man Called Ove - Fredrick Blackman. A beautiful book, it made me cry and laugh out loud.

The Book of Strange New Things - Michel Faber. One of the best I have ever read. Stunning.

Year of Wonders - Geraldine Brooks. Based on a true story of the plague in a Derbyshire village. Amazing.

All of C J Sansom’s Tudor detective stories and his other two books. Wonderful writer.

Susan Hill’s Serailler novels. I love her.

I could go on and on. Love this thread. I have jotted down some of the recommendations.

I’m lucky in that I can still read when I’m feeling bad. I always have that.

A man called Ove was absolutely wonderful. It’s on amazon prime now as a movie. I’ve not watched it though.

Have you read Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine? Another excellent one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread Information