Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perspective

Perspective

Allow me to offer some perspective. As I type this, my left shoulder and neck are at about a 6 out of 10 on the pain scale. How do I rate this? I've had 10 out of 10 pain and that's where you are basically curled up in a fetal position wishing to pass out and many times you do. So a 6 out of 10 makes it difficult to concentrate and pain meds make it just barely tolerable.

Last week was a very stressful week. I lost my stepmother to COPD and cancer, I had my 6 month poke, scope and prod last Tuesday and then had to travel 5 hours to go to the funeral. Hotel rooms, gas and food cost me monies I needed for bills so add that stress to the mix.

So. Why am I not freaking out? Well. My appointment went well. No cancer. I discussed the pain I've been having in my neck and shoulder and it's a result of treatment. How do I alleviate it? Exercise, therapy etc. It's not sinister. Does it suck? HELL YES but it's not sinister. I don't even have a passing thought that it is. My doctors did not miss anything. So, pain meds, heat and massage are the ways to deal with it.

My body is still in stress mode from everything. I know this. How? That's the way stress works on our physiology. I feel better mentally from everything but the coals of stress are still burning and will for a little while longer.

So there you go. Some perspective from a non-HA sufferer. That being said, I do stress out. I do still deal with some "scanxiety" come check up time and I still get discouraged having to deal with the plethora of physical side effects. BUT... I keep have one thing that trumps it all. A POSITIVE ATTITUDE. There are SO many things in life we cannot control but there's one thing no one or nothing can take away from us and that's the power and freedom of choice when it comes to our attitude and how we react to things. It takes work but damn if it's not worth it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Perspective

I'm sorry about your stepmother, my condolences. Hope you're feeling fine at the moment with less pain; no cancer sure is great news.

Your last paragraph pretty much sums up the only possible attitude to have if you want to beat not just anxiety, but any obstacle in life.

Hope you get better, I'm sure you will.

That's great Mark, that you have do have so much positivity and we all know that you're a cancer survivor and are respected such alot on the forum. However, it's not so easy for everyone to be so positive and we have to make allowances for those sufferers too. Health anx can be cruel and there's no instant reassurances, for some it takes a long time and many many threads...like a stuck record. I still suffer after all these years too, but I no longer seek reassurance, I've learned to accept it. What I've also learned is if I feel my advice isn't being accepted by a particular member, instead of responding negatively as I've done in the past, I move on. There are so many members here that somebody will respond even if I feel I can no longer help them. After all i'm not God, just a fellow sufferer.

Cath ☺

So sorry for your recent loss, I lost my stepfather to lung cancer in 2013 so my deepest sympathy x
    Last edited by Catherine S; 09-02-16 at 20:36.

Great post FMP

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Also sorry to hear about your stepmother, be kind to yourself and your family

I have probably posted this before, but perspective is huge. I always knew that, but didn't really LIVE it until I worked with the homeless population over the last year. When I'm getting down on myself, I realize how much I have to be thankful for ... A house, a car, a job, my husband, food. My health insurance isn't great but at least I have it! Some of my current clients live in tents in the woods and it really opened my eyes and makes me grateful to step foot into a warm house and bed at night.

Im also not trying to minimize other struggles. Perspective is tricky because sometimes it's hard to have it when you haven't experienced the bleak realities of this world. If the worst pain you have felt in your life is a pin prick, that's a 10/10 for somebody and that is not their fault. It doesn't mean their experience of pain is not valid or difficult for them (and truly be experienced as 10/10 for that person) So being reminded about perspective is important but keeping in mind that all of our experiences are different, and therefore our lens for viewing things is too. That helps me in understanding the reverse direction of perspective as well.

There is a lot of scientific research behind gratitude. Taking the time to even consider what you have to be grateful for, even the simplest thing like fresh air to breathe, really does change the chemicals released in your brain and can help with depression and anxiety if done on a regular basis.

So sorry to hear about your stepmother my friend x
    Truly inspiring post .
    I wish you a clear and happy road on your life journey with your beautiful wife x

Good Post Fishmanpa and good news with the all clear.

So very sorry for your loss, T. Thinking of you and your family.

Thank you for being a positive and inspiring presence on these forums. I am glad to hear that your check-up went well and thank you for offering a different perspective here. Your words have helped me so often when I'm feeling particularly caught in the throes of health anxiety. Sometimes I feel guilty for having health anxiety when so many people are facing real health (and life) issues but the best any of us can do is just as you said...have a positive attitude.

Best wishes to you.

"Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due."
    William Ralph Inge

Glad for the all clear Fishmanpa *hugs* xx

A fantastic post from a person I genuinely admire. Stay well FMP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information