Thread: No talent

No talent

I was advised to go to a day centre to help with my agoraphobia and social phobia and I agreed to go and I joined an art group there.

I should be pleased that I'm going there as it is progress for me. At first I was. But everytime I've been since I feel fed up. I just see everyone else's art work and they are good at it, but I really am not.

Then I got to thinking, what am I good at, and I can't think of anything. It's really bothering me, it doesn't help with my anxiety problems either because there's so many things I can't do because of that too.

I got home about an hour ago from today's art group and feel the same, I just can't stop thinking of how rubbish I am, how i'm not good at anything. Does anyone else ever feel like this and does anyone have any advice they could give me?

Re: No talent

Heather always bear in mind that art is completely subjective - what is to one persons taste is not to another and there is no such thing as no talent.

You enjoy being creative and go with the flow.

No I never do think I am no good at anything, even I know that's not true - it's not true about anyone anywhere!!

Even if we have no practical skills we will undoubtably have some personal ones.

I can tell you one you do have already - you are a lovely listener and answer posts in a very sensitive way. Would I rather have that or a peice of fine art - well it doesnt really need answering does it hun.

Love Piglet

Heather,
    I don't know you as i'm new, but i'm sure you are very tallented.

I have often felt rubbish and that i'm not creative or can't do stuff.
    I learnt very slowly that i'm ok at art - but i' no leanardo davinci.

I started by colouring in a picture - i got all the colours neatly in the pre drawn lines - i am talented and i can do art, so what if someone else drew it!

Then i moved on to something else, and a lot of my attempts were really rather messy, but i did it - it was creative - if not artistic. So baby steps

Is there something you have liked to do in the past, like needle work or cooking or gardening, a musical instrument or dancing (not the ballet stuff, but can you move to music in the house on your own?), singing? they are all creative and you will have a talent for something somewhere - even if you can't see it or don't feel like it's there.

No 1 talent that i know you have is being able to use a computer - because you got to this site and wrote the text, so you might not be bill gates - but you are tallented in using a computer

i bet you can cook a piece of toast, boil an egg, and make a decent meal for yourself or someone else! you might not be Jamie oliver - but you are a talented cook if you can make a decent meal - my dad burns water!

If you can ride a bike, or drive a car - that is a talent, you have learnt to do it, we all have many talents, and most of the time they are so much part of everyday life we forget that they are actually a talent.

You may feel rubbish - but you are not, just look at one thing creative you have done, it may not be perfect, but try and say - i did that it is good and write it down somewhere, that's what i try and do - because i have a tendancy to throw all my good efforts in the rubbish bin - i say, well that went well but ......... and it's in the bin and i haven't even noticed it going in there.

Hope this helps
    Freaky Chick

Hi
    How do you know that everyone wasnt looking at your work and thinking how it was better than theirs. Its hard when self esteem is low to imagine that you are a worthy person, but you are, we all have a gift to give and a place on this earth, you have just lost sight of this at the moment, its hard to love yourself at times when we feel so bad.
    but listen to this.
    when i loved myself enough...
    i stopped trying to banish the critical voices from my head.
    Now i say "thank you for your views" and they feel heard.
    end of discussion.

we are all diamonds in our own way.

The most important skill in staying calm
    is not to lose sleep over small issues.
    The second most important skill is to be
    able to view all issues as small issues.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies,

I feel like I did on Wednesday everytime I come back from the art group and I used to feel the same at school aswell. I think you're right, I do have low self esteem at times and low confidence.

You're all right, I am good at some things and maybe when people are saying my art work is good, maybe it's just me that thinks it isn't. I think next time I feel like this I'll re-read your replies to remind me that.

Thank you again everyone for your kind words, I really appriciate it.

Take Care,

Thread Information