Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPR? or Throat cancer! SCARED

LPR? or Throat cancer! SCARED

Hi all

I am wondering if anyone can help me with my very very annoying throat.

I started coughing the beginning of the year, I am a smoker & my doc ordered a chest xray which came back satisfactory.

Since about 5 weeks ago I have been having a tight feeling around my voicebox area including the fact that when I breathe through my nose it feels slightly more difficult, strangely I have a wheeze around my voicebox too, I have never been diagnosed with asthma. Breathing through my mouth feels better. My doc last week gave me lansaprozole and said I have reflux as my throat looked red and I was complaining about a raw sore throat all the time.

I have no gallbladder could this indeed be reflux? The tablets do not seem to be working as today my throat stings when I breathe in and when I swallow it feels awkward like I am clearing something by my voicebox.

Re: LPR? or Throat cancer! SCARED

Hi,

It can take a couple of weeks of taking a PPI for it to reach it's therapeutic level and benefit. Having a antacid around (like Mylanta) to help in the mean time for breakthrough reflux would be wise In the mean time, watch what you eat and take note as diet modification for reflux is pretty common.

It goes without saying the quitting smoking is a no brainer if you fear cancer and you have a sore throat!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I think me being referred to ENT would be a good thing, googling this condition brings up cancer of the larynx way too often and the symptoms are like mine

I'm a survivor of Stage IV head and neck cancer. While I'm not a doctor, what you describe does not present as cancer. Just based on experience, your doctor sounds like he got it spot on. Try an OTC acid relief like Mylanta and see if that helps. Dr. Google will tell you excess farting is bowel cancer for goodness sakes! Certainly you can see if you can get to an ENT but I'll place a bet that he'll say the same thing I did.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Dr. Google will tell you excess farting is bowel cancer for goodness sakes!
    If that were the case then our household would be in trouble!

Hi

Sorry to hear you were diagnosed however amazing for recovery.

I just want to know what is wrong with my throat feels like the stinging moves from the voicebox to the lower part (between collarbone) and when I breathe in I can feel 'cool air' that is the only way I can describe it, my mind is running wild with masses growing and tumors I might have & no Dr wants to do anything about it, feel like crying from being so worried!

I have LPR, if I don't take my omeprazole properly it makes me wheezy dur to the excess acid causing my throat to constrict. I've got a good routine for taking it now, I find I am a lot better when I take it the same time each day. You also have to be careful what you eat, personally I need to avoid spicy foods and acidic foods like tomato. It also makes the left side of my neck and collar bone hurt, not sure why but I guess it is referred pain. Hope you feel better soon.

My throat is still sore therefore this med is not working which is a worrying thing as the burning from reflux should have stopped by now

Dr has ordered a full blood count yesterday therefore I am not stressing even more......

Quote Originally Posted by Kay8010 View Post
    My throat is still sore therefore this med is not working which is a worrying thing as the burning from reflux should have stopped by now
    Don't worry one bit Kay! Make sure you sit up and do not sleep 3 hours after a meal. Also, wait an hour after a meal to drink water. Drink lots of chamomile and ginger tea (get fresh ginger and a grinder) and eat flax seed that is ground or in meal form or fish. Avoid tomato, vinegar, alcohol, coffee, and anything acidic. You can google foods that are acidic. Limit sugar as much as you can. Also keep in mind your stomach and gastrointestinal system is very sensitive to stress and anxiety, so you must find a way to relieve stress and anxiety. If you smoke cigs, stop doing it until your better, or just flat out quit. Cigs do nothing good for your body. Once your burning sensation stops, wait a month and start taking tumeric.

Some people also find that gargling salt water helps.

Also avoid garlic and onion. Even small amounts of garlic, onion, and tomato can trigger or make the reflux horrible.

---------- Post added at 01:37 ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 ----------

One last thing. Don't expect to feel better right away, specially if you are still having the burning reflux come up. It might takes weeks, months, and in some cases a full year!

My mother had reflux so bad that she had globus sensation for a year!
    Last edited by p282; 07-03-16 at 01:31.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information