Thread: The Taste of Blood.

The Taste of Blood.

This really scares me. Blood is supposed to stay in the body, under my skin, in my veins.

After exercise or something, you do taste blood, but it sends me in to a massive panic attack because tasting blood is 80% of the time related to some form of disease.

I need to know - to have proof - that this is normal. Even though i know it is, i don't have proof... you probably know what i mean.

Re: The Taste of Blood.

Gosh Dan D, not sure how to reply but as a nurse I have no comprehension of the 'taste' of blood' i'm more use to taking it for samples. Therefore difficult to respond apart from saying we need samples to 'test' blood and the amound taken is never enough to affect our daily living, about tasting blood after exercise that don't sound right to me!!!!

I know you do after excessive... that's a fact, but i did minor exercise. Maybe i should see the doctor about this one.

HI
    Im suspecting its probably the iron that you are tasting, this happens a lot with me and a lot of my mates after exercise too. There are several different schools of thought on what actually causes it and none of them really serious.They vary from acid reflux (which im sure is what it is in my case) to sinus problems (particularly if you have a post nasal drip) where small surface capillaries may become ruptured, not enough to see blood but to taste it. Some people also think that its a simple metallic tase due to the changes in the composition of saliva with exercise. Some people also think is has to do with the process of lactic acid (not so sure about that one myself). There are of course serious reasons why this might happen but im pretty sure that they dont apply to you as you would have other symptoms which would signpost the way with no doubt at all. If you are really worried, see your gp but im pretty sure that he/she wont have the answer for you either unless you have been ingesting mercury or lead. Be heartened by the fact that its quite a common occurence in exercise junkies like myself.
    hope this helps.

The most important skill in staying calm
    is not to lose sleep over small issues.
    The second most important skill is to be
    able to view all issues as small issues.

Thread Information