Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of advice for long term anxiety.

In need of advice for long term anxiety.

I'm new on here. I'm not new to anxiety however, I've struggled with it on and off for about 12 years. I've had medication in the past and counselling and CBT,With varying levels of success. My anxiety has returned and it's pretty bad, I have terrible dizziness daily that can last hours.
    I'm pretty desperate now for help and am due to see my doctor on Friday. I expect he will try to prescribe antidepressants as is the norm. I don't know whether to try medication again as I found the side effects pretty horrible.
    I suppose what I would like is some advice as to how to get the most of of my appointment and whether people have had any specific medication that has helped massively with minimal side effects.

Thanks

Aaron

Re: In need of advice for long term anxiety.

There are lots of different anti depressants, some work for others and dont for others, if you've had no joy before, trying a different one may help

I have my appointment today so will go there with an open mind I guess. I have been trying to avoid medication for so long but I am that desperate to feel some normality that I'm willing to give it another go! I suppose I was, like many others hoping there was a miracle cure.

Sometimes medication can help. It has me and then I stopped taking it because I thought I was ok and things went back to me having anxiety etc.. I know you don't like medication and you have negative feelings about it but sometimes it can correct the chemicals in our bodies and make things better. I am not trying to push that on you but personally I have found if I would have stayed on it long term it would have been better. I am 61 and have been fighting what you are for almost all my life.. Think about what I said but do what you think is best. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronoid View Post
    I have my appointment today so will go there with an open mind I guess. I have been trying to avoid medication for so long but I am that desperate to feel some normality that I'm willing to give it another go! I suppose I was, like many others hoping there was a miracle cure.
    Let us know how it goes

My anxiety recently returned after 12 years too. I went down the medication route but citalopram ended up making me feel a million times worse then i did to start with. I stopped taking them after 5 days and am now med free and dealing with it alone. I do have propanolol and i take that as and when and kalms if im feeling anxious. Meds work for some and others it dont. Its up to you what route you go down.

I've been given a prescription for Fluoxetine but I'm still unsure if it's the right thing for me. I've also been recommended to go back for counselling which I found better for me. Maybe I will hold off with the meds until I've been to some counselling.

Meds is a personal thing. Some need them some dont. My anxiety was very mild till i started the citalopram then it wen sky high i didnt eat or sleep for 5 nights was constantly shaking and felt terrible. Not everyone gets side effects i was unfortunate to get most of the side effects you can get. Do whats best for you.

I remember the unpleasant side effects and awful withdrawal more than the benefits. Has anyone had success with more natural remedies?

I take kalms. They are ok for mild anxiety

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information