Thread: Fluoxetine - Concerning side effects...

Fluoxetine - Concerning side effects...

Hello all.

This is my first post here so here goes..

I was prescribed fluoxetine for my clinical depression on the 15th after 3 previous intentional drug overdoses. On the first day of taking it I felt it work immediately, I got the usual side effects IE sweaty hands, dry mouth, decreased appetite, insomnia etc.

Everytime it kicks in I get higher levels of energy, elation, high confidence, and that 'on top of the world' feeling. I'm on my 8th day of taking it. Now heres the concern... on 5 of those days and about 6 hours after taking it I go into a horrible suicidal crash, like a coke/mdma downer but it only lasts for about 30 mins. Is this normal? Sometimes the crash is that bad I start planning out my death. Help much appreciated, thanks guys.

Re: Fluoxetine - Concerning side effects...

My very first side effect was elation. I thought it was great and at the time I had no idea it was a side effect..... however, I didn't have the suicidal crash. I really wish I could help you as I would be so upset if you had a fourth successful attempt. You life is so precious and you are wanted and needed and loved. All of which you know. Try to keep yourself busy when it comes to the 6 hour window, but if it doesn't go away I would say phone your GP ASAP.

Much love and I'm sending you lots of strength too. Keep posting, there is always someone here to help.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsCav View Post
    My very first side effect was elation. I thought it was great and at the time I had no idea it was a side effect..... however, I didn't have the suicidal crash. I really wish I could help you as I would be so upset if you had a fourth successful attempt. You life is so precious and you are wanted and needed and loved. All of which you know. Try to keep yourself busy when it comes to the 6 hour window, but if it doesn't go away I would say phone your GP ASAP.

Much love and I'm sending you lots of strength too. Keep posting, there is always someone here to help.
    Thanks for your reply!

Over the past few days I've haven't been getting that 'crash' so hopefully it was a temporary thing and that it won't happen again. I'm seeing my GP tomorrow and I'll mention it to her. She put me on Mirtazepine before the Prozac and that made me faint due to hypotension, thats why I ended up on Prozac.

Hi,I'm new to the site and was just looking for info on side effect re fluoroxetine, My GP prescribed it for depression and I have to say its been the worst experience of my life.I only had 4 X 20 mgs. Some years ago another doc put me on anti depressants cant remember name,I only had 1 and came out in an all over body rash,so I said never again.However this time with fluox I started out ok and after 2 days felt fine,but on the 3rd day it all went wrong.I stopped eating,sleeping, drinking,lost every bit of energy my eyes were closing all the time for sleep but I was awake but felt like a zombie.This carried on all night into the next day, I then had breathing difficulties I'm asthmatic,and a bloody nose.So eventually I called the emergency doc,she said stop the fluox immediately.Next 2 days I was really ill,breathing worse,every muscle and joint hurt no sleep and a little water.So somehow I managed to phone my doc for emergency home visit, She came and said its a chest infection gave me prescriptions,luckily a friend visited me and got them Doc was more concerned with my chest and seemed to ignore my presumably withdrawal symptoms I'm still not sleeping,. eating a biscuit a day drinking maybe 3 pints of water aday,breathing slowly improving.Its taken over an hour to type this cos I'm still very weak,andconfused

Thread Information