Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirtazapine withdrawal?

Mirtazapine withdrawal?

Hi
    I have just come off mirtazapine 5 days ago as per my psychiatrists instructions.
    I was on it for over a year and ended up on 22.5 mgs.
    It never really helped my anxiety and my cholesterol was climbing so I wanted off.
    I tapered off over a few weeks.
    My anxiety is a bit higher and I feel really down.
    Will this pass, if so how long should I expect to feel this way?
    Any support/encouragement is much appreciated.
    Going back on is not an option.
    Thanks

Re: Mirtazapine withdrawal?

Anybody?

Hi Mugs,

If you are tapering down from mirtazapine and up with pregabalin, you will probably have some days with unstable or low mood. Hopefully, they will soon pass.

Thanks hanshan.
    I do feel awful. Really low mood which is not really characteristic of my anxiety.
    I just feel like there is no end to this misery.
    My poor husband says he's going to need meds soon because he worries about me��

Hello

I was wondering how you are getting on now? Has your anxiety improved at all?
    I've recently (from Monday) reduced my Mirtazapine dose from 30mg to 15mg (I've been cutting my 30mg tablets in half) I started feeling a bit light headed this afternoon, but I could have been imagining that!
    I was going to stop taking the tablets completely next Monday. I'm wondering if anyone might have any advice on what to expect when I stop taking them?
    I'm a bit too anxious to go to the doctors, so I've done it without speaking to them. I've gained almost 2 st since I started taking Mirtazapine and I've decided I can't take the hunger and weight gain anymore!

Hi
    I am 1 week off mirtazapine and I don't feel good at all.
    It never helped my anxiety but I did sleep better on it.
    Now I feel anxious and depressed, I hope it passes.
    My doc and pharmacist don't think my problems have anything to do with coming off mirtazapine, so where does a person go for help?
    I don't know which way to turn.
    Trying deep breathing and distraction but not helping. Exercise doesn't help when I'm this bad.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Hi
    I decreased by 7.5 mgs per week.
    22.5 to 15 then 7.5.
    This is the way my doctor and pharmacist said to do it.
    I hope they were right.

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

I did not gain any weight on mirtazapine and was happy to take it for a little sleep but my cholesterol was climbing so I chose to come off.

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling anxious and depressed. I hope this passes soon for you.
    I didn't find it helped my anxiety either. It's one of the reasons why I decided I don't want to take it any more.
    It helped a little bit with me feeling depressed, it wasn't a massive improvement, but I did start to find that things like cooking were less effort. It still wasn't worth the weight gain for me.
    I'm sorry your doctor and pharmacist are not being much help. Do you have anyone else you can talk to?

Thank-you.
    I am really struggling right now, very uncomfortable.
    Feeling so depressed is new for me, usually just very anxious.
    I have a therapist and doing CBT but it is not helping me.
    My husband is becoming very cold and avoiding me, I know he is just worried and so are my kids (all adults and gone from home).
    Days like this make things feel so hopeless.
    Hard to find anyone to talk to that understands.
    Thanks again.
    Mugs

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Hi
    I decreased by 7.5 mgs per week.
    22.5 to 15 then 7.5.
    This is the way my doctor and pharmacist said to do it.
    I hope they were right.
    It's good to see good advice from a GP on withdrawal, many just use the standard dosages because the NHS has no official policy on splitting pills so it's up to GP's to find out for themselves and stick their neck out. I'm glad yours has the experience and willingness, many do not.

How are you doing today?
    I developed a pretty awful headache this afternoon, not sure if it would have happened anyway or if it's because I'm taking less Mirtazapine. I'm trying to decide whether to just stop taking them completely and if I end up feeling crap, just ride it out. Can anyone tell me approximately how long after they stopped Mirtazapine they started feeling unwell? And approximately how long did it last for? I'm trying to fit in the feeling unwell bit around work and time it so the days where I feel really bad are my days off

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information