Thread: Slurred speech?

Slurred speech?

I have been worried about ALS for about 7 months now. It started from widespread twitching and perceived atrophy and perceived weakness. However yesterday I noticed I had difficulty saying a sentence in the language I speak at home (English is not my first language) this had me worried. My mum said it could be because I am starting to have difficulty due to only speaking the language at home but I am still terrified. I can say the word normally now but I remembered reading about a woman who began with having difficulty saying 4 words and it turned out it was ALS so this has me freaked out. Someone please I need some reassurance. Also I often have instances when people dont understand me but I have asked my mum if I speak normally to her and she says its fine although it feels weird most of the time.

Re: Slurred speech?

It's hard to watch when someone is spiraling from one thing to another. Please visit your GP, print out some of your threads and discuss getting some help for your anxiety.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Im sorry its just some of the symptoms feel so real and as if ive had them for ages. e.g my leg looks atrophied feels weaker and is itchy in the same spot and the speech which are my main worries and these are worsened by other worries in the background.

Itching is not a symptom of ALS. If you had ALS for 7 months, you would know it. No question. You don't look for ALS, it finds you.

It's common that the two halves of the body differ a bit. We're not totally symmetrical.

What do you mean by difficulty saying 4 words? In a row or just 4 special words that are different to say? The letters that usually are difficult to pronounce with dysarthria are k, s and r (might differ by language though).

You do this: Pick up a book in your language. Start reading a couple of pages out loud and try to at the same time understand what you read. Relax.

How did it go? Fine?

Thread Information