Thread: Tonsil cancer fears

Unhappy Tonsil cancer fears

I've had a couple of raised bumps on the back of my throat for more than a couple of months now. They're the same color as the rest of my throat- just tiny raised spots, one at the center and the other towards the right side. My chronically enlarged tonsils have been especially big in the past two weeks, and (scariest of all) a lump has appeared behind my right tonsil (not on the wall of the throat- maybe the posterior tonsil pillar? I've been trying not to google things in much detail) that only shows up when I kind of 'flex' my tonsils (move them towards the center of my view of my throat), otherwise hiding behind that tonsil. When I flex, the lump seems to align with the spot that's off to the side.

I saw my primary care doctor and she didn't see anything of concern (though I'm not sure whether I succeeded in moving my tonsils around so as to let her see the lump). However, she agreed to refer me to an ENT. The soonest appointment I could get is a month from now. I'm trying not to look at the back of my throat/ tonsils until just before the appointment, because I have a history of health anxiety and don't want to freak myself out for no reason. I'm also resisting the urge to google the symptoms. However, I can't shake the sense that maybe I *should* be keeping an eye on things so that I can describe any changes over the course of this next month to the ENT.

I'm 23 and don't have a history of smoking or heavy drinking. However, it's entirely possible (even likely) that I contracted HPV orally a couple of years ago, and that can cause tonsil cancer in younger, otherwise healthy people. My tonsils have been chronically enlarged for over two years- I saw an ENT about two years ago and he said that they might just be large for no particular reason, but also that it might be worth keeping an eye on.

Should I trust that this is yet another instance of health anxiety, or should I do research and observe the bumps and lumps?

I also had a bit of hoarseness yesterday morning and even a little throat pain. Both seem to have passed now.

Re: Tonsil cancer fears

I'm an Stage IV Head and Neck cancer survivor.

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it stops.

Obviously, your GP doesn't consider this urgent as you have an appointment with an ENT in a month. It's more for your reassurance as I see it. Your age and the fact you don't smoke or drink heavily bodes well and so IMO, you're just anxious and feeding that anxiety by self examination.

Do your best to overcome the urge to poke and prod around your mouth and throat and get the all clear from the ENT next month. Then, look into getting a handle on the anxiety that's causing you so much stress.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 25-06-16 at 23:19.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information