Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project on mental illness (mainly on panic attacks)

Project on mental illness (mainly on panic attacks)

Hiya all

I am doing an essay in Key Skills IT Level 2 at college and I chose to write my essay on:

"How does age affect the likelihood of people suffering from mental illness*?"

I need statistics on the ages of people here who have panic attacks. I know there is all ready a thread on this but I need a bit more information.

So, could you please fill this in for me and PM it back to me (or you can post your information in this thread).

Age of when the first signs of mental illness* occured:
    Age of when panic attacks (and other illnesses like anxiety etc) started:
    List the mental illness/es* you suffer from now:
    If you wish to say anything else regarding this assignment then do tell me. Also if you know any books that give information on panic attacks (like Psychology for A Levels books) then tell me, that would help me alot.

I will post the results when I complete the assignment, it may be in a couple of weeks time, depending on how much work I have to do for my other subjects, lol.

* It was the only term I could use to talk about panic attacks, anxiety, depression etc as a whole. I do not mean to use it in an insulting or offensive way. If you find it very offensive then I will change it to Emotional Illness or anything suitable for you.
    Last edited by Rennie1989; 21-03-07 at 08:34.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Re: Project on mental illness (mainly on panic attacks)

Hi Jadey,
    I dont suffer from mental illness, I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.

I personally find the term mental illness an insult, mainly because anxiety and panic attacks are emotional illnesses and most the people on this site are very clever people. Why they term it mental Illness I dont know ?
    When you suffer panic attacks its because you "FEEL" fear , not because your mental. Thats my views on it anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by mirry View Post
    Hi Jadey,
    I dont suffer from mental illness, I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.

I personally find the term mental illness an insult, mainly because anxiety and panic attacks are emotional illnesses and most the people on this site are very clever people. Why they term it mental Illness I dont know ?
    When you suffer panic attacks its because you "FEEL" fear , not because your mental. Thats my views on it anyhow.
    I don't mean to use it in an insulting term, I just didn't know what else to call panic attacks, anxiety, OCD etc etc etc as one thing.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Hi Jadey, Im glad you wrote this because its something that I have heard mentioned many many times in the past , its not your fault, this is how society see's our illness which makes this a interesting topic.

I may be the only person on here who finds it offensive (you never know).

I like the term "Emotional Illness" because this is usually where all these Illnesses come from.

Hey Jadey, hope you didnt take offence,hope we can help you out with your project!

It's not even illness - it's just fear,if you ask me..

I've always considered myself to have a "Mental Health illness".

Sarah

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Smile Re: Project on mental illness (mainly on panic attacks)

Hi Jadey.

I wish you every success with your project.

I can't say I'm particularly offended by the term 'Mental Illness' but I can fully understand how others might be. This has made me think about what I suffer/have suffered from and whether it is an actual illness or just my way of responding to certain life circumstances and situations. I certainly felt very poorly when I was going through it and adjusting to temporary medication and wasn't able to interact very much with the real world. Now, I suppose I could consider myself a 're-adjusted' anxiety/panic sufferer. For me, being free from what I experienced is living with the fact that it might rear it's ugly head now and again (and it has on occassion) but it will be the way I handle it now that determines whether I still suffer or not.

I do know that my situation was certainly brought about by life events over a period of about 45 years since I was a small child, all of which culminated in an almighty 'hitting a brick wall' toward the end of 2005. I can't with any honesty say that I have 'fully' recovered or that I still suffer - it really is dependent upon my life situation now, today. So, today I might consider myself recovered, but tomorrow I might refer to myself as still suffering!

Hope this helps somewhat. When I read it through it sounded a bit hit and miss to me but hey, that's GG lol !!

lotsa luv

GG

xx

PS: I'll PM you with my details

Jeez, Jade only asked for a few questions to be answered

Kate

Talking Re: Project on mental illness (mainly on panic attacks)

Haha! Impossible for GG -

Why use 20 words when 120 will do lol !!

lotsa luv

GG

xx

Hi Jade, I've suffered since 2000 when I was 39. Depression, anxiety bigtime. PM me if you need any info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information