Thread: Should I leave?

Should I leave?

Hi, I was wondering what you guys think I should do. I'm in Year 10 right now and have my School Certificate this year, and I have always thought that I would go onto Year 12, have a year off, then go to university and study accounting. But I'm really unsure now because I'm becoming so scared of everything, I can't talk to strangers, can't buy things, can't ring people etc. and I can't imagine myself going to year 12, and especially not uni, or even getting a proper job! I told my Mum this, but she said I'm selling myself short and giving up. If I did leave I could work in the office of our family business for a couple of years basically being an accountant, and then, if I feel up to it, go to TAFE and complete year 12 there and then go to Uni. Would I get into Uni if I left in year 10 though, even though I would be doing year 12 at TAFE and would have experience from working in our family business? Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Re: Should I leave?

Hi, just to say, you won't always feel like this. Things do get better though it doesn't seem so now when you're feeling ill. Only you can make the decision but it does seem to me that if you continue through to year 12 you'll have friends around you and it might be harder to go back to college having worked for a while. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

things do get better but if you hide from things, its hard to understand now but, they'll just get worse and harder to get back into.. dont give up, fight this and try and stay in school as long as you possibly can. the best thing you can do is read up on the subject. try andd get a much understanding as yiou can about it and hopefully you'll learn how to controll yopur fear

Hi

As a uni lecturer my gut instinct if you have the adaptability for university then you must go. Dont worry about all the problems just do what your heart tells you to do

Keith

Hi jordygirl_28.

I've always seen it as quite ironic that the decisions 'young' people have to make will affect their whole lives. If only it were possible to take life experience and make these types of decisions based on that. One of lifes little quandaries. Anyways, I digress.

It is a difficult thing to migrate back into Education once you have left. The Money in your pocket from working, the differences in lifestyle, the independancies you gain from the working world.

Ultimately it is your decision! My opinion would be to tackle these fears as soon as possible. The longer they are left, the harder it will be to defeat them. Please also note that this is a VERY big time in your life, and the fears you are experiencing are quite natural.

As was previously mentioned, by remaining in education now, you will have your existing friends around you for support, which can only be a good thing.

Take your time (as I'm sure you are), dont make this decision lightly.

Best of luck in whatever you decide, and keep us posted.

Best Wishes

Ross

Thread Information