View Poll Results: do you think these websites help or hinder our problems?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • i think these type of websites are a great help

49 48.04%
  • they are a great help but are a bit addictive

33 32.35%
  • i think they just makes things worse cos you're concentrating on negative things

17 16.67%
  • i dont know

3 2.94%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: do you think these kind of sites help or hinder us?

do you think these kind of sites help or hinder us?

hello all~i was just wondering what everyone thought about these types of websites~obviously they are here to help people and to do good but i have heard some people say negative things about them, for example, that people can get addicted to them and spend too long on the computer feeling sorry for themselves rather than spending time trying to get better, i also just noticed mirry's post saying something along the lines of she's leaving because there's a big wide world out there (sorry if thats not exactly what was said) which just made me think about the question again~i personally think its a good thing~its nice to know there are others out there with mental health issues whether its panic/anxiety etc~ what are everyone else's views~i'd be really interested to hear them and also how often you spend on here and other similar websites~thanks for your time

Re: do you think these kind of sites help or hinder us?

I have put that I think they help but are a bit addictive. I know I spend too much time here but part of that is because I am not working at the moment and my depression/anxiety is still very prevalent in my life. Hopefully when (and if) i get back to work, I will have a different focus but still be able to come in and give and receive support.
    What I have found is that when I first came on here, I felt I was take take taking and not in a position to offer support to others. Now, I find myself coming on as much to give as to take support.
    I love it!
    happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Well, i am new to this site.... and i think it will be very helpful to communicate with others who understand mental health issues... so far the people i have met in the chatroom have been supportive and welcoming.

So im glad to be here i will look forward to familiarising myself with some more of the forum and finding out more

I could never have coped this past year without the help of nmp and the lovely people here.

Mandy xx

"DILLIGAF"

Thumbs up Re: do you think these kind of sites help or hinder us?

I have found this website a great help and very supportive.last summer I thought I was going crazy and was going to end up in hospital.Thanks to this site and the great people here I learnt alot about my problems and the horrible symptoms were anxiety.
    Thank you to everyone and especially Nic & Alex.

I think that this site is different than most that I have seen in that we support each other and there is bunches of really useful info on here. I have never seen another site that is so centered around support and understanding. Also alot of the sites about anxiety on the net have their own idea of a miracle cure that they try and peddle and as we all know that is a bunch of caca (cleaned that up - aren't you all so proud of me -lol)
    I've seen bunches of people who have gotten to the point that they feel they can move on from the site. That to me is a wonderful thing. It means that in some small way this site has helped in their success against anxiety!!!
    I have so much love and respect for so many of the people here who are so supportive and give so much of their time!!!!
    There are no words that could express the feeling when you are alone and scared and faced with anxiety/panic and you find a place like this where people understand what you are going thru and help you to know that you aren't alone and that there is hope!!
    That what this site has given me since I first arrived here - hope!!!
    xxx
    Sandy

I sometimes get asked why I set this site up and the simple answer it cos I needed help and couldn't find it on the internet.

I wanted reassurance about things, I wanted to people to say "yes I can relate to that" or "yes I get that too".

I wanted a list of symptoms and how to cope and what worked.

The rest is history I guess!

It worked for me and certainly taught me a lot more about panic and anxiety and I believe helped me overcome it.

We have a fab bunch of people on here that devote time to helping others and I still learn things everyday.

It has been going since 2001 and the forum since 2003 so must be working somehow.

I too like to see people recover and move on - I just wish we knew what happened to them sometimes and whether they are now completely cured or still suffering.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Superb Post Sandy! I think that pretty much sums it up for me also.

In the Poll I chose that I think these sites are a great help. I will contradict myself in saying that not so long ago, I did feel that I was perhaps spending too much time in Chat and not enough time in the 'Real-World'.

Becuase its such a lovely place with fantastic people, it is easy to lose yourself in the midst. That said, it wasn't just NMP that I was engrossed in. Lots of aspects of the Internet, and other Forums I participate in were hogging a lot of my time.

There is no way I can extend the true amount of thanks I owe to the members of this site.

i said it great help but addictive sometimes

hi~thanks for all your replies~i'm pretty much better now but i use to suffer really badly from panic attacks~i only got shown this website last night by a friend, wish i knew it was here a couple of years ago~

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information