Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone taken supplements for anxiety?

Anyone taken supplements for anxiety?

I was reading about 5-HTP supplements for anxiety. Anyone taken these or similar?

Re: Anyone taken supplements for anxiety?

Apparently you can't take them with meds, though I've been recommended them before. I think it's one of those things that gps are dubious about. I've recently splashed out on a basic multivitamin and minerals from tesco. You can spend a lot in these things though.

Since I stopped cit I've been taking fish oil 3 times a day and magnesium. Magnesium is suppose to help with anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissAlone View Post
    Apparently you can't take them with meds, though I've been recommended them before. I think it's one of those things that gps are dubious about. I've recently splashed out on a basic multivitamin and minerals from tesco. You can spend a lot in these things though.
    Do multivitamins help? I have some that I have been neglecting.

It is advisable to ask your GP before to take supplements when you are taking prescription drugs. Otherwise the health shops will advise you or the pharmacy .

I take a high strength daily multivitamin, primarily because my diet isn't the best fruit and veg wise, but also just to try to maintain optimum health. Whether it assists my anxiety issues, I am not so sure.

I agree with Magic that more diverse supplements are best discussed with your GP prior to commencing them. Magnesium and Iron - just to pinpoint two - can greatly affect our body 'mechanics' if they are not dosed with a bit of caution, so I would have a word first.

Oh that's a good point, I'd better check that I'm not doing any harm. I'll do that today. I'm not sure if they work and I think I eat a balanced diet. I'll let you know what a pharmacist says.

You will be fine with vitamins & minerals, you already eat them in your food. Things like B supplements can be a bit activating for some so it might be wise to split the pill (not if it's enteric coated though, which it would say on the box or in any leaflet) if you suspect you might be a bit sensitive.

Magnesium is fine with meds.

It's more the herbals that are the issue. St. John's Wort works with Serotonin hence it can cause problems. 5-HTP the same (it's a precursor). Gingko Biloba has many interactions with antidepressants and cannot be taken with them.

Use the interactions checked on Drugs.com. It's fine for many herbals when checking against a med.

Many GP's don't understand supplements but a pharmacist often does so that's another option if your GP looks at you blankly or says they dare not advise it (a possible sign of a knowledge gap).

When do gps not look at you blankly?! Thanks for this, Terry. I tend to eat more mushrooms than I used to for the B vits which I think they contain. I assume that is ok too.

---------- Post added at 07:29 ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 ----------

I've just done a quick search and mushrooms contain loads of minerals and vitamins, I'm sure they're OK.

As long as they aren't "magic mushrooms"...

Vitamins & minerals can often pass through the body very quickly and be poorly absorbed, especially minerals that are in salt form since the body isn't really designed for them (hence why many magnesium supplements are chelated or absorbed in other ways like through the skin).

So, the question really is going to be how much extra do you need in total. As long as you are not going above dangerous thresholds or have any condition that means certain vitamins & minerals may need special care, it may not matter much if you are taking what you could add on in food if you improved diet. And I would expect warnings present if they were an issue with these meds, but as Magic & Debs said, it can be best to check. I wouldn't bother with very safe things like vitamin C though, you will know if you take too much of that...you will be on the toilet all day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information