Thread: So, I booked a doctor's appointment...

So, I booked a doctor's appointment...

...and I have NO idea if it was the right thing to do.

Recently, my anxiety has been kind of all over the place. Some of it is natural anxiety since I'm in my last semester of school and I have to apply for graduation and start job searching sometime soon.

Other bits are me having suuuuuper low self esteem, worrying my acne will come back, and most disturbingly so far, worrying about excess shedding of hair and that my hair feels thinner than it did before.

I mentioned the thinning to my current therapist and she just shrugged and asked why I hadn't gone to the doctor yet. I replied that I was trying to NOT rush to the doctor for every little thing, but that seemed to confuse her.

So after massive stressing I figured I'd just book a physical and talk to my doc about it. I have to go in anyway and sort out my migraine medication. Problem is, I've never had a physical before. I have no idea if I schedule the "right" thing. It's also not until October 5th, which means I can ask my psych first if he things the shedding is concerning/could be med related but otherwise I have to sit tight and wait over a month.

Really, I have no idea which doctor I needed to see - my family physician, my derm, my psych. I'm just so tired of this and scared too. Even my hairdresser said I was shedding a LOT.

Any advice? Did I do the "right" thing or am I seeing the wrong person in the wrong capacity or just giving in to my HA?

For the record, my GP is awesome, knows I have anxiety, and will undoubtedly listen to me and give good advice. I just don't want to waste anyone's time.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: So, I booked a doctor's appointment...

Typically a once a year physical is recommended so your GP is the right doctor for a general preventative health physical and as you said, being he's aware of your anxiety, it's also a positive and he'll able able to discern is anything needs attention.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

When I get anxious I stop eating correctly, when I start eating again I loose loads of hair, it's something your body does. How's your diet?

Booking an appointment in your case seems fairly normal really. Are you worried that the doctor will give you bad results? Perhaps will just shrug you off? You said your doctor is pretty good so I wouldnt put too much emphasis on scheduling the appointment, just go in, tell them your concerns and I'm sure you'll be and are just fine

My diet is all over the place, but it always has been.

I took accutane for several months - finished up in March - and was always afraid it would cause me to lose hair. In fact, reading nasty posts online about supposed side effects of that drug is what re-started my HA and gave me a massive fear of side effects of everything.

However, I had NO side effects from the accutane; my skin wasn't even really that dry. It did clear up though. And I'm off it now so I keep telling myself it's not possible.

I fear it's a side effect of either the Lexapro or Clonazepam I'm taking but I just don't know.

I've read that you can lose 100 hairs a day and most days I don't shed all that much, but some days I do + what my hairdresser said. And I keep telling myself it just feels/looks thinner.

@Holds1325 - I don't know what I'm scared of. Either that he'll confirm my fears or that it won't be reassuring. Or maybe that he'll refer me somewhere else and I won't get answers there either. It's this cycle of wondering if I'm going to get answers/not knowing what exactly I want that makes me feel really tired and down and unable to face my fears honestly.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

I have the exact same anxiety when going to the doctors office. Even when going to the dentist I fear whats going to happen whether im going to be OK or will everything I'm scared of will happen.

The first start is to actually schedule the appointment though and I know for alot that this part can be very scary. Its okay though you got over that. I'm sure you'll be just fine otherwise.

I remember a year ago or so I went to the doctor who said I was just fine but to make sure he'll schedule a procedure for me to go through I just had to wait for the referral and from the insurance that I'm clear to do it. The referral service at the clinic I go to takes AGES to get anything done. I waited a whole month anxiously until I finally got a letter that my procedure was not approved and a brief explanation saying that the funding needs to be serious etc. blah blah basically that I was wasting everyones time.

I took that as a sign and told myself that I'm only going to go in unless its an actual major emergency. I've been fine ever since.

Still, I hate waiting for appointments, I have to schedule one soon to get my prescription refilled and I am procrastinating that bit. I guess what helps is just knowing that hey at least if it was serious you'd be in right now as opposed til weeks away. You're not dying now are ya? Well live your life then, is what I tell myself.

I'm sure youll be fine though

Thread Information