Thread: Depression Related Brake up

Depression Related Brake up

Hi everyone .

Just joined the forum and I believe this is the right place to ask for some advice ...

I have dated this girl for a few months . Everything was great at first . We were having fun , and everything was going nicely . The perfect relationship .

While we were dating however I could sort of feel that she was reserved . A lot . Things were moving slowly . In the end , after asking politely , and after long discussions , I got to understand that her past 2 boyfriends , were emotionaly and physicaly abusive to her . This , she admitted , has made her scared of new relationships . A fear which after meeting me , and after dating for a month , she said had gone away for good .

Two months ago , we had a very heated argument . It was my fault for insisting on talking about the topic the way I did , but it was about the way she was treating me , as a person . She has a very direct and sometimes offensive way of talking . Something that , at the time , was very stressing to me and wanting to discuss . This argument went out of control , and basically put our relationship on someting of a hold .

A month ago she had a severe anxiety/panic attack . She had to go to the hospital . And there the doctors told her that she was suffering from the depression . She is on medication now .

After some talking , she made it clear that the problem was way bigger than me and our relationship . She was having issues , like panic attacks , stress , and anxiety since she was 17 years old . Daily panic attacks and that sort of things . She now is 19 and I am 21 . She also admitted that her mother suffers from depression as well , and for a long time . Something I was not aware of .

Since then our relationship has been very stressing . I love her very much and I really wish to help .

She has pushed me away multiple times , saying that she no longer likes me , and that she no longer loves me .

She has thanked me for my support , and the love I show towards her . That I am always sweet and understanding .

She asked me to leave her alone . Something that I did , only for her to start texting me a few days later on her own . We live in different towns , I asked to go see her , she refused claiming we have nothing to discuss .

She said that we are not longer together , that I can go find another girl , but she shows signs of fear about this outcome . She has asked me 2-3 times if I am with a different girl , she has wished me good '' hunting '' , and good luck with '' those chicks '' . Even though I have made it clear that I love her very much and have intentions of '' replacing '' her .

She says she feels empty . That she does not know what she feel . She does not know if she ever really loved me . She says we are no longer together. She says she wants to be alone . She says she does not miss me at all . She says she does not want to see my anymore .

All of the above , and at the same time , she is texting me on her own . Breaking her own rules . Saying that she does not want to break up with me and stating that she does not want to decide what she wants of our relationship because she is confused . While at the same time wishing me good luck finding another partner .

She wonders if I am with an other girl . She says that if I find another girl she will feel terribly sad and disappointed . Why would a person feel that way and at the same time claim that they do not care ?

I do not know what to understand . I get conflicting signs everyday . I really want to help her . She is a brilliant girl , very smart in every sense of the word .

I really want some help , because the way things are , is putting a lot of stress on me , while I have my own family issues to resolve and I am in the middle of my final exams . I have difficulty coping and I feel awful and empty myself as time goes by .

Any advice would be much appreciated .

Thank you very much .

Chris .

Re: Depression Related Brake up

Hi Chris, that sounds like a very complex relationship.

My advice to you...

You need to give this girl space for both of your benefits. You need to focus on your family issues, and your exams. She needs to sort out her health, and her mind.

If she really likes you, then giving her space will make her aware of that. Resist the compulsion to text her back.

If this has a negative affect on her, then she needs professional help. I don't think you can provide this to her. She sounds very conflicted and confused.

Ultimately, giving someone time and space is a positive thing in a relationship. You may only add to the confusion if you are continuously responding to her messages.

Thread Information