They give you the option of just the throat spray to numb your throat or the sedation, they give you a sedative which is just enough to relax you but not enough to really make you unconscious (its enough to take away your anxiety though as i had mine done when mine was at its height), they then put a mouth guard in your mouth to prevent you biting down on the scope and then they do the procedure the scope looks at your oesophagus, stomach and into the top of your duodenum, they will be looking for signs of reflux or ulcers, they will probably to a clo test to check for h pylori and if this is positive they will commence you on triple therapy which is usually losec and 2 types of antibiotics to iradicate the bacteria (nothig to worry about) they may also take biopsies but not always,it depends onlevel of inflammation if any present or if they find polyps. I can honestly say that when i started nursing 24 years ago hardly any one had procedures like these carried out but as equipment has evolved and modern scope units have developed a lot more people are now being scoped than ever. While this is a good thing on one hand, on another its not so good as it does raise the level of anxiety for some people. You do not meet the criteria for requiring a scope, either following the prodigy, sign or nice guidelines but your gp is organising this because the facilities are there and because you are anxious, this should make you feel a bit better and should help to reassure you, i am sure the most they will find will be some reflux which they will grade,depending on where you are will depend which grading system they will use, we use the los angeles grading which goes on A, B, C and D or they may find you have h pylori which is an infection (although your symptoms are not convincing of this). Im pretty sure your anxiety is what is causing the problem with your reflux and once you have been scoped and know you have nothing to worry about itwill be amazing how quickly your symptoms will lessen. Whenyou go for your endoscopy make sure you tell the nurse that you are anxious and that you would like sedation and dont want to see or hear anything going on when youare inthe scope room and she will pass this on, they deal with this more often than you can imagine. You will have to stop taking the lansoprazole at least 2 weeks prior to scope as it can interfere with test results but you will be informed of this by letter from scope unit. Im sure that your problem is just a bit of hypersensitivity caused by your anxiety.
hope this helps