Thread: Diazepam - Fear of Flying tester Dose

Diazepam - Fear of Flying tester Dose

Hi All

Extreme fear of heights - cannot even go on 3rd floor at work or in high rooms in hotels, not flown since I was 15 - 27 years ago

Doing a fear of flying course this weekend, gotta get on a plane from Bristol Airport Sunday for a 1 hour flight - extremely anxious when I think about it and have had panic attacks in the past. As it gets closer I am getting more stressed

Taken Diazepam once before 2 years ago for an interview - pretty low dose though I think - 2mgs

This time I have been given 5 mgs x 3

Thinking of doing a test dose tonight to see what I feel like - although because I am not in a very anxious situation not sure how effective it will be in helping me understand how much I need Sunday

Also if I do 5mg tonight - will taking 5mg on Sunday before flight be less effective as I might still have some of it in my body and / or have some tolerance

Or should i do a tester and then take 1 5mg Sunday a couple of hours before flight and maybe one on way to the airport ?

Will it take away all those anxious feelings and thoughts that bombard you and that total fear that envelops you, does it STOP panic attacks ?

My worst fear is the height and even more so I cannot get off no matter what happens when I am through those doors its curtains

Any help - advice on your experiences of flying and Diazepam?

Someone said to me you will not feel high as your so high your brain doesn't feel the same sensation as there is no reference point as such ?

Re: Diazepam - Fear of Flying tester Dose

I had a fear of flying and conquered it in 2010, I don't remember what I took. Propanalol probably. And an Imodium!

It was scary for sure, but exhilarating at the same time. I became obsessed with flying for about a year afterwards.

When you see how methodical, and precise the pilots are with EVERYTHING, it really makes you relax. They've got it all under control. I'd rather get in a plane than a taxi put it that way.

I would take the diazepam on the day one in the morning, and one couple of hours before.

You'll love it. It'll be intense, but you will love it.

I would take 1 couple hour before, then 1 just before it then you've still got 1 for in the flight if you feel really bad. 10mg when you dont take it regularly will probably make you so drowsy you won't care

I did four 5 hour flights in 5 days on my own recently and didn't take any meds. The thought of flying is much worse than the actual flights. That's my experience ;

people with dental phobia often get 3x5mg Valium.
    1x 5mg night before
    1x5mg in morning
    1x5ng. 1 hour before dental procedure.

I followed this schedule when I recently had to go into hospital for day surgery.
    It certainly too the edge off. I'm agoraphobic and took the 3rd dose to get me to the hospital 30 miles away.

I wouldn't waste 1 tonight when you are relaxed.

I would take them together

How did your flight go?

Thread Information