Thread: Constantly feeling heartbeat

Constantly feeling heartbeat

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience in constantly checking your heartbeat? So you are waiting for it to go into overdrive, you have to keep constantly making sure you're controlling it. I feel I am trying to control my heartbeat at all times so it doesn't cause an attack.

I used to get this years ago when I thought it was my chest leading to a heart attack. I now know it's not a heart attack but an anxiety attack which I feel I am constantly building.

Would really appreciate some advice.

Arron

Re: Constantly feeling heartbeat

Your heart can perfectly withstand going into "overdrive". It can beat at 200BPM for extended periods without causing any damage.

And regardless, it is not the heart beating fast that causes heart-attacks.

It is when one of the main arteries leading to the heart become blocked, or constricted.

Checking your heart-rate constantly won't solve anything.

Hi,

I understand and appreciate what you are saying, it is almost as if I am always concentrating on my heartbeat. Making sure that it does not beat too hard.

This has developed in the past few days, It is almost like I am having to constantly prevent it from going into panic mode.

Thank you for your reply.

A

So what if it goes into panic mode?

Panic isnt the end of the world. It might feel like it sometimes.

I have this too really bad, when I get palpitations or chest pains I always check my pulse to make sure my heart beat isn't irregular, sometimes I'm sure I'm having a heart attack, this really does stress me out :/

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    So what if it goes into panic mode?

Panic isnt the end of the world. It might feel like it sometimes.
    You talk a lot of sense fella. I found your posts very helpful at four this morning when I was up havin' a panic.

do some deep breathing exercise

I have this symptom and the more anxious I am, the more aware of my heartbeat I become. I get to hear it in my ear and I can feel it thumping away. My shirt visibly pulses. It is one of the (many) symptoms that does my head in, if I allow it to.

I put it down to sensitization as I am acutely aware of everything else as well. The more attention I give to it, the more aware I become so I try to do some relaxation techniques like abdominal breathing instead.

It is a classic symptom of anxiety and it's normal so try not to stress about it. When I become aware of it now, I tell myself that my heart is working well for me and it's saying 'You're alive, babeh!'

Your heart can perfectly withstand going into "overdrive". It can beat at 200BPM for extended periods without causing any damage.

And regardless, it is not the heart beating fast that causes heart-attacks.

It is when one of the main arteries leading to the heart become blocked, or constricted.

Checking your heart-rate constantly won't solve anything.
    SLA, thank you for making this statement.
    I have been perplexed by the rate of the heartbeat and what you have said now makes sense. I have several friends who have a heart rate that hits 200bpm and over and they are absolutely fine and leading normal lives. One of them does not take any Bp tablets and substitutes with power walking which I understand opens the arteries?
    In fact I know quite a few people that have a rating of very high Bp and wondered why they have never collapsed.
    So, do you think GP's dish out blood pressure tablets unnecessarily? Would this cause more fainting/collapsing if your heart-rate bounces up and down according to your lifestyle and of course, not forgetting anxiety, could the tablets make it worse?
    Would we be better off IYO if we powered walk, eat less fatty foods and kept active?

I'm back in this vicious cycle, felt anxiety creeping back into my life after 2 good years.

Was out running 5 weeks ago and stopped for a rest then my heart rate kept rising from 160 to over 190 but only for 20 or 30 seconds. That has been enough for me to stop running and now back into full mode worrier again.

Constantly aware of my heart and thinking its going to start racing again.

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 ----------

Also had about 4 panic attacks in that time when I've not had one in 2 years. Its awful.

Thread Information