Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for the girls - please help

One for the girls - please help

I had a period that started the Sunday before last and finished about last Wednesday (can't remember exactly). Today it has started up again - bright red blood not brown discharge. It's not just spotting either, it's reasonably heavy.

I'm worrying, I've never had anything like this before. My periods are sometimes a bit irregular but I've never had inbetween bleeding before.

At the back of my mind I'm concerned about ovarian cancer, since reading a book on IBS that said sometimes IBS is misdiagnosed and ovarian cancer overlooked! (I have IBS). Although, to be honest, I'm not sure if intermenstrual bleeding is a symptom of ovarian cancer anyway.

I'm determined not to google but any info on intermenstrual bleeding or experiences would be really gratefully received.

I'm trying not to worry and I'm trying to use the CBT techniques my counsellor taught me. I just need a bit of rational help here. When would be a "normal" time to start worrying about this? When would other people go back to GP? My own anxiety makes me want to see my doctor NOW but I realise this is probably not necessary. If it goes away, should I just ignore it and wait and see what happens next month? Or should I see a doctor anyway, just in case? And if it doesn't go away, how long should I leave it before seeing my GP?

Can anyone help me please? I'm trying hard not to panic but I'm feeling a bit scared at the moment.

Re: One for the girls - please help

Please don't panic. When I'm going through a bad patch I have really irregular periods. Last month I had a period that lasted 3 full weeks. Then it went for 2 and came back for 1 and so on. If you're really worried see your doctor but in my experience it's par for the course with anxiety. I thought I was starting the menopause last year (I'm 46) but it was just the anxiety messing with my hormones.

Hi Lass

are you on the pill? this can cause bleeding inbetween periods. Also had a quick nosey around and found this
    --Some women experience bleeding about 10-14 days after their period. Usually, this is caused by a temporary drop in levels of the hormone oestrogen at the time of ovulation (when an egg is released by an ovary). This is quite normal--
    I think it would be quite safe to say most 'normal' people would see what happens over the next couple of days and then next month before seeing the gp. (i know, easier said than done)
    anx x

Thumbs up Re: One for the girls - please help

Hi Lass, If you have always had regular periods up until now then of course this unusual bleeding is worrying for you. However it is very, very common and since the bleeding is not very heavy I don't think it is anything to worry about. I have had periods that lasted a couple of months and I have gone without periods for over a year at a time. Your reproductive system is very sensitive to your psychological and emotional problems so please don't worry about it. When I have had periods that go on for weeks on end I have gone to the doctor and gotten pills that stop the bleeding within 2 days. This was more because I was fed up of the bleeding than anything else!
    If your blood loss is very heavy for more than a few days then you should go to the doctor as anaemia may develop.
    Other than that, please remember that women who have regular as clockwork periods without ever having any inbetween bleeding are more than likely in the minority!
    Take care
    Eibhlin

Thanks girls. I'm starting to calm down a little bit now.

No, I'm not on the pill. My anxiety has been really really good lately, I was so pleased with myself. I think every time I get smug and think I'm getting over this anxiety thing, my body does something to remind me I'm not really in control at all

The bleeding's got a bit more brownish now, more like the latter end of my period, so I'm wondering if this is just dragging on. Thinking about it, it was lighter than usual, so maybe it's just a long and light period rather than my usual shorter heavier ones.

I really thought I'd got a grip on this health anxiety. I had a lump in my mouth on Saturday (not an ulcer, more like a painless blood blister) and although I worried, I didn't panic. I thought I'd made great progress but today's made me realise that I'm still fragile.

Thanks again, and any more reassurance from anyone would be good! I don't know what I'd do without you all

Hello !

Well done for coping with all your worry and anxiety. I think these worry "lapses" are all part of recovery and we can learn so much from them. You've worked your way through this one really well. You know what is usual for you - if things drag on then put your mind at rest and see your GP. Sometimes we just need to hear somebody say what we already know !! I think you're stronger than you realise.

this happens to my friend every month. keep an eye on it i f it happens every month maybe go to the doctor cos u could have hormone imbalance or summit!

Well, just a quick update!

Today I still have light bleeding, plus small clots. I half-decided to go and see my GP, but turns out she's on holiday til next Wednesday. So that's solved my problem of whether to go or not! (I don't really want to see one of the other docs about this, unless it gets any worse).

So I rang my friend who is a practice nurse and she calmed me right down; said it is likely to be cervical erosion from my description. I can handle that, I know a bit about it (from my medical secretary work!) and I know it's common and harmless.

I've been busy all day until now, and I more or less forgot about it; but now I'm getting all anxious again.

My body seems to schedule abnormalities whenever there's a bank holiday coming up!!! Just to make me panic more as I can't run to my GP!

I'm determined to NOT let this one get the better of me, and to stay as calm as I can and enjoy the holidays. Just need to fight off the "what ifs ...."

Any more reassurance gratefully appreciated

hiya

I know of loads of people who struggle with their montly cycle and if it helps when i had my son two and a half years a go i had extremely bad bleeding for weeks and had a blood clot the size of a large egg at one point and although it made me feel very anxious (when i lose alot of iron i tend to get panicky) i was absolutely fine and the doctors/ nurses etc didn't bat an eyelid. so i'm sure if that's nothing to worry about your fine. also have you not thought your first bleeding could have just been fore bleeding? and this is your actual period?

i hope that helps a little and you feel better soon
    love rachel x

I'm getting myself into a bit of a panic about this now. I was hoping it would go away but it hasn't. I was okay all the time I was busy today, but now the anxiety has really set in and I'm all over the place.

I'm not properly bleeding now, but each time I go to the loo and wipe, I have brownish blood and/or clots.

I'm so terrified this is something nasty. I know it probably sounds irrational to everyone else but I'm really scared.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information