Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Electroconvulsive Therapy - My Story

Re: Electroconvulsive Therapy - My Story

I so hope this works for you .

I came home from Hospital last night. I was in for exactly one month and one day. I went into work today, it is only half a day, so am just easing back into it. Finding that I am in no way fixed, but am in a better place than I was before I went into hospital. I'm on a lot more medication, which dampens down the anxiety, although it is still there. I am just going to take one day at a time or I will get overwhelmed.

Glad your feeling better. Hope everything works out.

Had an okay day today anxiety wise. I have started to feel depressed at different times through out the day, which is new. Seems like if it isn't anxiety upsetting me, now it's depression. I feel in a pickle also because the psych has prescribed 100mg Nortriptyline (at the moment I'm only on 75) but I am also taking Sertraline 100mg and when I liked it up there is a major interaction that can result in cardio toxicity. So I have the doctor saying to me 'you won't get better if you don't take the medication as prescribed'. So do I just trust her and take it. I am also worried about serotonin syndrome. I take 15mg of Mirtazapine as well, so am on 3 different anti depressants, and other pills as well. I am really worried about it, but feel like I have to increase the dosage of Nortriptyline in order to get better. Has anyone taken these two medications together? Thanks in advance.

Good to hear you're home Tracy.
    Sorry I can't give any advice on the meds.
    Maybe get a second opinion.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thank Karina and Phil. How is you daughter going Karina? I think of you and your family often and hope that your daughter is getting better. You need to look after you also Karina. Are you still in Brisbane. I am doing okay. I get really tired because of all the pills. I counted them last night, I think there was 9 and then another 3 in the mornings. I'm back to the psych tomorrow so hopefully we can get rid of at least one of them. I'm back at work, I don't really have a choice, there are bills to be paid. I get two weeks off over Christmas which will be good. We will be having a quiet Christmas. Thinking of you every day and praying that your daughter is improving. Makes you wonder sometimes why we get stuck with these illnesses. Xx

Had my first appointment since being out of hospital with the psychiatrist today. We are both happy with the progress so far and although I am feeling better, she doesn't want to change anything until my next appointment. I need to get a blood test done to check the levels of Nortriptyline in my blood.
    My next appointment is on 9th of January and hopefully we can reduce some of the medications then. Though the whole hospital experience wasn't overly pleasant (it was as pleasant as it could be), I wouldn't change anything that happened during my time there. I think the ECT was beneficial and although I didn't like it, I would do it again in similar circumstances if it was deemed necessary and although i'm on a heap of tablets, I can at least function and work and be a mother...sometimes you just have to do what needs to be done to move forward and get on with life.
    Last edited by Mermaid16; 20-12-16 at 05:59.

Still happy with my progress, it could be better, but it has been much worse before, so I am grateful to be able to live as normally as I can at the moment. I get really tired because of all the medication (9 pills at night and 3 in the morning). I find if I have a rest, I can't sleep, but just lay down for 1/2 hour, than I am able to get up and keep going until bed time. I have started to stack on the weight, but am trying not to let it bother me at the moment. The anxiety is hardly there any more (because of all the medications), but my attitude had changed also. I don't worry about every little thing at he moment. I use to think 'I'm on too many medications and I don't want to take what the doc had prescribed', now I think if it helps me to live a normal life than so be it. It's not like I abuse drugs, they are prescription and just like anyone else who has an illness needs medication, than so do I. Lots of people have comments that I look like I have got some of my spark back and look the best I have in months, so I must be on the right path. I know it will suck when I eventually have to come off some of these pills. But I will worry about that when the time comes. Right now I'm just happy to get through each day without tears and dread and feeling like shit.
    Last edited by Mermaid16; 22-12-16 at 08:42.

What a great positive post.

I have been following this thread so am really glad that things have worked out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid16 View Post
    Still happy with my progress, it could be better, but it has been much worse before, so I am grateful to be able to live as normally as I can at the moment. I get really tired because of all the medication (9 pills at night and 3 in the morning). I find if I have a rest, I can't sleep, but just lay down for 1/2 hour, than I am able to get up and keep going until bed time. I have started to stack on the weight, but am trying not to let it bother me at the moment. The anxiety is hardly there any more (because of all the medications), but my attitude had changed also. I don't worry about every little thing at he moment. I use to think 'I'm on too many medications and I don't want to take what the doc had prescribed', now I think if it helps me to live a normal life than so be it. It's not like I abuse drugs, they are prescription and just like anyone else who has an illness needs medication, than so do I. Lots of people have comments that I look like I have got some of my spark back and look the best I have in months, so I must be on the right path. I know it will suck when I eventually have to come off some of these pills. But I will worry about that when the time comes. Right now I'm just happy to get through each day without tears and dread and feeling like shit.
    Great to hear things are looking up

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information