Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the hell is going on?

What the hell is going on?

Greetings,

I switched straight from Seroxat 20 mg to Cipralex 5 mg five days ago. I'm kind of assuming this is what's giving me hell right now. This has been going on for four days now. I phoned for advice and they said there's nothing they can do about it and I'll just have to wait.

I have been on Cipralex before, and it didn't give me these problems back then, so I'm actually doubting that it's even the cause of my problems and there's something seriously wrong!

I feel panicky (I have panic disorder which the medication is for), disconnected, disorientated, numb, unreal, like every muscle in my body is really weak, at times I also get nausea, and I have the mother of all constipations.

I'M GOING TO GET INTO WHAT MAY BE UNNECESSARY DETAIL ON THE CONSTIPATION IN THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH, SO PLEASE SKIP AT WILL:

When I try to contract my anus like I obviously normally would, I'm just unable to do so. It's like someone cut the poo wire in my brain.

IT IS NOW SAFE TO CONTINUE READING!

I've read on these forums about people getting some of these symptoms during the first couple of weeks on Cipralex, but I'm not convinced it's just the drug, especially since I haven't read about anyone getting this kind of constipation from it. Also, I've had the "disconnected" feeling, called derealisation before, but not to this extent.

Thanks for pretty much anything you may have to say.

Hi Kroko,

Some meds can give you constipation mine dose,
    my doctor gave me lactulose solution which sofens
    the motion. This does work for me, but you must
    ask your GP if it is ok to take with your meds.
    The symptoms you are getting are smyptoms of
    anxiaty or PA. Maybe it has somthing to do with
    you changing meds, give it time it may settle down.
    If you are really worried go back to your GP.
    Peace of mind goes along way.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL

What we are today comes from
    our thoughts of yesterday
    and our present thoughts build our
    life of tomorrow.
    Our life is the creation of our mind.

Kroko

When I was on meds years ago I had the opposite problem and had constant diarrohea for months on end.

To help the constipation eat plenty of fruit and fibre and if that doesn't work you can get some herbal medication that will ease it.

It will get better if you start to eat more roughage type food.

Nicola

seroxat takes a while to come off. When I stopped taking it I felt terrible for 2 weeks (at least!) I couldn't eat, i felt sick, I felt dizzy and had to hold onto the wall if i wanted to walk anywhere! It maybe withdrawel from seroxat combined with initial side effects from the new medication. Give it a while longer and see if it gets better.
    Mabel

from Blossom
    I was on Seroxat for three years, and was taken straight off them and put on Cipramil, and I was having a dreadful time, so they had to put me back on Seroxat for about 9 months, and gradually weaned me off them, in liquid form. After that I had to have two weeks without any meds, and then was put back on Cipramil. It was being straight off the Seroxat that caused the problems I was having, I was so bad for quite a while, infact I was unable to leave the house being agoraphobic, I have been told one must never come off that drug cold turkey, It really put me right back, and even now I am not right, feel very depressed,
    Thats what I can say about being taken straight off the drug for another.
    Hope you are feeling better, not everyone is the same though. Wish you well.

Hiya Kroko

Oh No! Sounds like the switch is playing havoc with your system as it were. I really do think that all the things you have mentioned sound like side effects and I guess the best thing is to try and stick with it for a couple of weeks as they will most likely soon wear off. At least you're alread 4 days in so the side effects should start to lessen before too long. Sorry to hear about your 'bottom' trouble [:I] my mum swears by prunes or liquorice

Hope you're feeling lots better really soon.

Best wishes, Jo xx

Hi

Thats a mighty switch . 20mg is the standard dose for Seroxat and 5mg is half the standard dose for Cipralex so its not a straight switch as far as your brain is concerned . You're withdrawing . It will wear off as the days pass.

I'm with Jo's Mum - liquorice.

Take care - the derealization will pass as you settle .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
    - Albert Einstein.

Thanks everyone...your replies really give me more energy to battle this thing. At times I feel like it will never go away, but reading about similar experiences gets my hopes up.

I've been taken off Seroxat before, but then it was gradual and the switch was to a drug called Remeron...no problem there. I've never felt quite like this before, and I'm always frightened by new bad experiences with my condition.

Blossom and Mabel, I'm sorry you had to go through that, I'm glad you're better now. I can walk around the house without having to hold onto walls...at least for now!

hello there Kroko,

I am on 10mg of cipralex and I had the very same symptoms that you describe at the beginning. They went away after about 2 weeks. Although they are very unpleasant, I'm sure that they are npt worth worrying about. Hope you feel better soon!!

Sarah

Just a little update...

I'm feeling A LOT better now. I don't feel I'm quite back to normal yet, but today I haven't really even been near panicking and my little problem downstairs is almost gone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information