Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long lasting upper back pain?

Long lasting upper back pain?

Do any of you get long-lasting upper back pain due to trapped gas or IBS? By long lasting I mean that can last days. I know lower back pain is common, but not many complain of middle or upper back. Gas was the only thing two different doctors found on ultrasounds, but I can't stop obsessing over pancreatic cancer, especially since it is often missed. Almost had this anxiety under control for two weeks but last night it crept back in my mind, keeping me up, worrying and googling until 5 a.m.

Re: Long lasting upper back pain?

Hi brandybuck I have been suffering from anxiety for years and ibs just lately I have been having really bad pain in my upper back feels like trapped gas but I keep telling myself gas can't be this painful can it? I now get it under my ribs as well it's so hard not to obsess over it I was thinking it could be all sorts of things but remember one thing about anxiety we only see things in black and white u have evidence on your xray that it's gas from two different doctors if it was anything worse one of them would of picked it up hope this has helped u

I get terrible upper back pain, I suffer daily with ibs, stress and anxiety.
    The doctors say it's acid reflux and trapped wind.
    I take rennies and it does help
    Also anxiety and stress can cause tense muscles which causes strain on your back.
    I know it's worrying tho I've just got used to it

Thanks for your answers guys. I also got pain under ribs, abdominal pain and acid reflux. Do you have normal looking stools? Sorry to pry this much but what worries me even more is that I have yellowish stools.

Well mine always varies from ibs d to ibs c
    My symptoms have got worse I've had an ultra sound for my back pain and it was all normal
    Ask for a scan to check your kidneys, gallbladder and liver looks okay as that might be a bit of reassurance

I've been wanting to do one for a while, I guess I just hoped the ultrasound might show something (not sinister of course) and that would be the end of this saga. I also feel weird asking for a referral as my doctor seems to think I'm crazy after asking for so many tests (also got blood work, thoracic and spinal X-rays and an upper endoscopy). Didn't help that I usually looked like a mess checking in. I hate myself for not asking for an echo-endoscopy rather than the normal one I had. Actually, I almost want to go back in to do that. Horrible as it is, the anxiety is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by brandybuck View Post
    Thanks for your answers guys. I also got pain under ribs, abdominal pain and acid reflux. Do you have normal looking stools? Sorry to pry this much but what worries me even more is that I have yellowish stools.
    Depends on what you eat. It can vary in color under certain types of light too BTW. But the thing is, it has a lot to do with what you eat because of food coloring and stuff. If you eat a lot of foods that are yellow or have yellow food coloring, then it's only logical that it's going to produce stools nearly the same color. Likewise if you eat things with dark food coloring, like chocolate, well you can take a guess as to what the end result will be.

Be aware that food dyes will throw you off like that.

Pretty sure it's not the food itself, it's been going on for two months

Quote Originally Posted by brandybuck View Post
    Pretty sure it's not the food itself, it's been going on for two months
    Well the best thing to do is see a doctor about it. That's what I would do and I have in the past BTW for something like that, when I worried about it myself.

My last appointment was two days ago. They don't seem to think there is anything wrong. F*ck this. It's gotten really hard to deal with it. I'm just really scared at this point and am an emotional mess.

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

So many symptoms fit and this often pops up into my mind and I get this feeling of intense fear and dread, sometimes followed by episodes of crying. Ever since this bulls*it started I've become a totally different person.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information