Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange occurence in bank. ALS?

Strange occurence in bank. ALS?

Had a really scary moment today. I was in the bank and they asked me to sign something and when I went to grab the pencil it was like I couldn't hold it right. Like my hand forgot how to work for a second.

It was really scary to me since I have an ALS fear. When I got home I immediately tried to write with a pen and pencil and I can do it fine even though it feels a little strange at first because I don't write a lot (work on the computer all day).

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Seriously terrified now.

Re: Strange occurence in bank. ALS?

Im also a heavy computer user and at times grabbing a pencil or pen feels odd in my hand. huge leap to ALS

Ive been through some incredible stuff in my life, some of it was even real.

-SC

Seriously terrified now.
    I hate to think what you'll be like when some serious actual shit goes down in your life.

Momentarily couldn't get a firm grasp on a pencil.

Jesus...

I've just never had anything like that happen before. Of course picking up a pencil has felt "strange" before after not having picked one up in a while. But this was like I totally couldn't grip it right. I actually reached over with my left hand real quick to kinda help my right hand get into writing position. It was very strange and it all happened really fast. Once I got a grip on the pen I was able to write fine.

I seem to be able to write fine now that I am home. I can pick up the pencil and hold it normally.

I just have heard and read stories about ALS patients "all of a sudden" not being able to do some common task like hold a coffee cup. So, this seem to fit within that narrative. I "all of a sudden" couldn't hold this pencil correctly. It sounds similar to me and that is why I am scared.

Honestly it's a bit of a bummer because this weekend I felt pretty good. I hadn't been having many "symptoms" over the weekend and had even thought to myself ... "well, I guess I'm past this ALS stuff." ... :/

Its never my intention to be rude or dismissive. I know what its like to panic about random shit.

But, come on. Take a step back and observe yourself as if you were another person.

Once I got a grip on the pen I was able to write fine.
    That should be were this story ends.

Focus on the reasons why you don't have a problem. Life becomes infinitely easier.

Wishing you all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside4k View Post
    Had a really scary moment today. I was in the bank and they asked me to sign something and when I went to grab the pencil it was like I couldn't hold it right. Like my hand forgot how to work for a second.

It was really scary to me since I have an ALS fear. When I got home I immediately tried to write with a pen and pencil and I can do it fine even though it feels a little strange at first because I don't write a lot (work on the computer all day).

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Seriously terrified now.
    Yes

That is also very common in non fatal carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel and in non diseases people.

Has carpal tunnel ever been fatal?

ISB

The same middle finger that seemed to have troubled gripping the pencil has been having these spasms throughout the day. Basically from the middle knuckle of the middle finger to the end of it - it has these strange spasms throughout the day... they are painless but are kinda like twitching / spasms. I'm wondering if that could be ALS type spasms where the muscle control is dying.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside4k View Post
    The same middle finger that seemed to have troubled gripping the pencil has been having these spasms throughout the day. Basically from the middle knuckle of the middle finger to the end of it - it has these strange spasms throughout the day... they are painless but are kinda like twitching / spasms.

LOVE how a stressed out/anxious mind affects a body. Does all kinds of crap. Then the mind adds another twist and outright creates physical symptoms.

I know that you really fear this and my post will not make a bit of difference , but you are not describing ALS no matter what your anxiety is telling you..

By the way--my son's college friend's dad was dx'd with ALS about 10 months ago. Doc's knew right away something was wrong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information