Thread: hospital appt for reflux tomorrow..panicking

hospital appt for reflux tomorrow..panicking

Hi all,

So tomorrow I have an appt with a gastro dr for my ongoing acid reflux. I had an endoscopy in 2105 which came back with moderate gastritis, since then I have been on and off Omeprazole. The latest bout has been since August and I'm still suffering even on these meds. The only symptom I get is a sore throat and now and again bread take a little while to go down.

I'm also on 10mg citalopram because I suffer with anxiety.

I'm worried sick I now have esophageal cancer and I'm terrified about seeing the dr tomorrow.
    MY GP said he wasn't sure what else to prescribe me and he would send me to the gastro dr just to see if he could tweak my meds or have any other ideas.
    I've had to wait 14 weeks to get an appointment so surely if he was worried he'd have sent me earlier?

Re: hospital appt for reflux tomorrow..panicking

There you go, you've already answered it
    if he was concerned he would of defo got you an earlier appt trust me,
    do you mind me asking how old you are? i'm more than certain it'll just be bad reflux x

All the best

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

As far as know, if the GP was worried about you, the referral would of been asap, certainly not 14 weeks, I'm also on omeprazole but still get symptoms of reflux and I've had an endoscopy and an MRI to see why the meds are not helping that much.
    I'm sure you will be ok tomorrow, like your GP has said , there may be something the gastro Dr can do to help your symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden01 View Post
    There you go, you've already answered it
    if he was concerned he would of defo got you an earlier appt trust me,
    do you mind me asking how old you are? i'm more than certain it'll just be bad reflux x

All the best
    I'm 47

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by almamatters View Post
    As far as know, if the GP was worried about you, the referral would of been asap, certainly not 14 weeks, I'm also on omeprazole but still get symptoms of reflux and I've had an endoscopy and an MRI to see why the meds are not helping that much.
    I'm sure you will be ok tomorrow, like your GP has said , there may be something the gastro Dr can do to help your symptoms.
    What were your results? Did they say why they didn't work that well for you?

My results were normal , they have no idea why the medication doesn't work that well for me, anxiety definitely makes my reflux worse though and when calm my symptoms seem better. I also have IBS and I'm sure some of the symptoms overlap. The dosage of my omeprazole was increased for a bit but I've cut that down now.

My Omeprazole hasn't worked that well either, i have a barium test on the 3rd to rule out anything if i end up going but they have a big hunch the reflux is just natural causes, i'd surmise it's the same for you, i doubt you have the big "C" x

All the best

well the appointment went well. the dr wasn't even sure it was reflux as my symptoms are mainly just a sore throat. She is referring me for a couple of tests. A tube down my nose and then I have to drink something to check my muscles are working correctly and then a tube down my nose and they will keep in place for 24hrs and monitor my acid levels. Have to go back in 3 months for results. Guess it's nothing serious!!

Glad to hear it and glad to see you're getting checked out especially as it will give you a piece of mind, is the drink test by any chance a barium swallow? i have that coming up on the 3rd myself x

All the best

No it's not the barium, it's quite a largish tube down your nose into the stomach that monitors how the muscles react. It's just plain water you sip through a straw. I'm terrified as the dr said it's not a nice test

Thread Information