Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone keep getting hit by toddler!?

Unhappy Anyone keep getting hit by toddler!?

Seriously everyday I have a injury from my daughter. She's going to be 3 years old. It's not even 9am and Ive been headbutted on my cheekbone and hit in the eye. I'm so paranoid every time I get hurt. I have a fear about my head. Getting hit in the temple area scare the crap out of me. She's only little and not doing anything on purpose obviously. But I keep getting hurt. I've been to the hospital and doctors dough with her hitting me in the head. I'm always scared I'm going to die or have this massive head injury. I'm terrified. People think I'm stupid I'm sure as she's only ypung, but she's so strong!! I'm not that strong! I can't even carry her anymore she's too heavy for me.

Any help please?

Re: Anyone keep getting hit by toddler!?

My sister's kids (aged seven and three) basically see me as a giant child - or possibly some sort of climbing apparatus - and this results in me being pretty much assaulted whenever I see them. I've been kicked in the head, elbowed in the face, jumped on, forced to act like a horse that they both ride at the same time... you name it, it's happened. And you're right, little ones can be surprisingly strong.

I wouldn't have it any other way, though. One day they'll grow up and they won't want to do it anymore. They'll just be treasured memories. So let me ask you this - why waste these precious moments worrying about the extremely unlikely possibility of injury? When your toddler is too old to want to play that way anymore, do you want to look back having wasted those times by worrying? How sad would that be?

I personally think a 3 year old should be taught not to hit. They are old enough to know otherwise. There's obviously a difference between play fighting and actually hitting for hitting sake like it seems she is doing to you (although you haven't mentioned whether she's playing or not). She may seriously hurt another child.

I took it to mean accidental strikes in the general rough and tumble of play. If it's deliberate hitting, that's behaviour that needs checking.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    I took it to mean accidental strikes in the general rough and tumble of play. If it's deliberate hitting, that's behaviour that needs checking.
    That needs addressing as well, though. My daughter is only 3 but occasionally decides to diving head butt me when we're playing or whatever. Eventually I had to tell her sternly that she had to stop doing this.

Of course she wasn't trying to hit me, she thought it was all so hilarious when daddy's nose has red stuff coming out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    That needs addressing as well, though. My daughter is only 3 but occasionally decides to diving head butt me when we're playing or whatever. Eventually I had to tell her sternly that she had to stop doing this.

Of course she wasn't trying to hit me, she thought it was all so hilarious when daddy's nose has red stuff coming out of it.
    Depends on what's going on. Diving head butts are almost always inadvisable. Guess it depends what the OP really means. Which, as of yet, we do not know.

I babysit and a toddler I keep does that sound too.

I have a 4 year old.
    Three is not too young to teach empathy.
    Children are not born with it. A three year old seriously does not know that it hurts when he or she hits other people. They have to be taught.
    As a mom, you are the natural teacher for this lesson, because your child loves you and does not want you to be hurt or sad.
    Make sure that your child knows, every time she hits you, that it hurts, that she has made a "boo-boo" or an "ouchie" on you, and that it makes you feel bad.
    Most children will stop and become more gentle when they actually realize that other people have feelings just like they do. But children are not born with this knowledge, it must be taught. And they don't have the capacity to understand it much before age three, but around three, their cognitive abilities become such that they can understand and modify their behavior.
    Last edited by GlassPinata; 25-02-17 at 17:09.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    Depends on what's going on. Diving head butts are almost always inadvisable. Guess it depends what the OP really means. Which, as of yet, we do not know.
    The England squad seem to struggle with the best use of them.

I was thinking of calling you horse from now on but people might get the wrong impression...

Unfortunately, accidents with little ones happen. As long as it's not intentional what's the problem?

My daughter once did a leaping "I love you Dad" when she was 4 and her knee hit me "you know where"... She still remembers me writing on the floor in agony ~lol~ And I was sore for over a week afterwards!

If you're that paranoid, they do make helmets and pads ~lol~

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information