Thread: Full blood count

Full blood count

After a time of too much health anxiety, I have decided to cut the crap and next week I have an appointment with my gp for a full blood count and general checkup but I am already going out of my mind with the results of the blood count... what if they discover something...wbc? Liver? Kidneys?... oh boy I am so anxious but have to do this. Last year I have had a total check.up with a hematologist, everything was just fine... could it be that now something is going really wrong? Sounds familiar to anyone?!

Re: Full blood count

You have a bad case of "what if disease".

What if nothing is found and everything is fine?

If there's nothing currently wrong with you, the chances are the blood tests will return fine.

Rationally I know that "what if" doesn't mean anything... Indeed, why can't I just think positive...
    But it's all over me, I can't stop thinking about it... If I was just normal, I wouldn't even have a blood test, because a normal me would think I am just fine...

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

I am now even convinced that because of all my stress my blood work will come back abnormal...

I'm no expert on blood tests, but I'd imagine that, if stress could affect the outcome of a blood test, the experts would be able to tell what was going on.

I don't know what help you're receiving for your anxiety, but if you're not receiving any at all, you'll need to change that.

Last year I went to a few therapy sessions... And I was fine for almost a year, but now it hit me again... Thanks for your replies ServerError...

I think you know what you need to do then.

Stress can't affect the outcome of a blood test as far as I know. Just get the test done because you'll feel better when you get the results.

I really hope so Swajj.

Well, stress can actually get your white blood count up...

I will try to relax and just undergo it, but I hope it will be just fine and no further examinations needed!

Stress can get your WBC up because stress lowers your immune system and your more susceptible to common things like a cold. Other than things like that, no it doesn't affect your blood count.

And keep in mind, its rare to get "incidental findings" on blood counts. Remember it's OUR body, it works like a perfect ecosystem. If something was off in your blood and was measurable, you wouldn't feel perfectly healthy.

Thread Information