Thread: What is this Feeling i get at night? Anxiety related?

What is this Feeling i get at night? Anxiety related?

I always tend to feel spaced out, out of focus, dull and a feeling of unreality when it is dark. It happens all the time especially when i am in the passenger seat of a car at night time. I haven't been able to drive for over 3 months because i feel unbalanced (not spinning) and out of focus. It also happens when i am out walking the dog or doing whatever in the dark.

I have been feeling lightheaded in the day but the unreality feeling only tends to happen mostly when it is dark.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas on what this could be?

Re: What is this Feeling i get at night? Anxiety related?

Hi reassurance, and welcome to this lovely place. I can understand the feelings you’re going through, what you are experiencing is the panic symptoms of disorientation, and derealization which is perfectly natural to get sometimes at night since you sort of view the world differently around this time as there’s least distractions at night, and therefore, if you get a panic attack or something you often experience these symptoms more greater than other symptoms you would normally get in a panicky situation. At night it is easy to think of anything bad with the time going by, as I often feel like this at night time too but all it is your going through is a period of panic and nothing more, and it will go eventually.

But as I’ve posted this, I want to feel that I can help you through this rough time so if you get like this the best thing to do is get out a book, turn on the T.V, or listen to some quite music to help you calm down from the panic. I’ve done this and I find it does help a bit to make the panicky symptoms not as severe and not as long lasting.

Edit: Then hopefully you should be able to face the night in more comfort although I think when you walk your dog, I think you're doing well to manage to walk it, and remember these feelings are not real as there just thoughts, and nothing bad will ever happen. You could possibly play a little game with your fingers while walking the dog though, or whistle a tune if you feel like it which may help.
    Last edited by Zanxiety; 23-04-07 at 12:14. Reason: Reread the topic and realised I miss understood it a bit. Sorry for all of these mistakes.

Hi

And welcome to NMP, lovely to see you here, i hope we can be of help

The following is from the symptoms and how to cope pages of the forum, hope they help:

Depersonalization, Derealization, Feeling of unreality

What you feel:

Now for the Brain – the limbic system in the brain instigates this whole response and is responsible too for our emotions and behaviour One of the body symptoms that people hate most is the one when you feel all foggy, surreal, woozy or spacey. You may either feel that you are not real or that the earth is not real and you’re a time warp away. These are often the hardest symptoms to understand and its very common to deduce that you must be going mad which makes you panic even more. This is completely untrue and you are very safe.

You feel like you are not a part of what is going on, or that you feel like you are in a dream state or ‘out of touch with things’. Also, things around you may seem like they are shimmering, foggy, hazy or too bright.
    What causes this:

As we learned in Understanding, the body and mind are tightly integrated. What affects one affects the other. This symptom is another example of how an over stimulated nervous system can cause us to experience odd and impaired feelings, emotions and perceptions. Much like how a psychoactive or recreational drug can alter one’s mental state, an over active nervous system can affect certain body chemistries thereby producing mind altering effects. The feeling of unreality or disassociation is one type of altered mental state that high levels of stress biology can produce.

It is not completely understood what goes here but it is generally thought that the limbic system in the brain decides there is too much going on and goes into a self protection mode and shuts out excess stimuli. As the adrenaline levels decrease and you calm down it clears. This can be several hours days or weeks.

D/Personalisation

derealisation/depersonlisation

How to Cope
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=coping

Love
    Andrea
    xxxxx

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I appreciate your answers so far. I tend to get this feeling at night. I dont know why... If someone can explain why this might be, please feel free...

I have been battling my constant anxiety disorder for 4 months... I'll post my story in another thread....

Im so happy i found this site. It is so helpful!!!

Thats so odd because for the longest I have had that feeling during the daytime..Its so yucky I hate it and well feels very strange but before the last few days I would feel odd and everything in a fog and just like im spacey during the daytime but when the sunset I had become very active and things seem to be ok.I suppose its just all related to anxiety and many people get more anxious at dark.Mine seems to come and go.. But it was more when I wasnt used to being in this place.. Now feels better when the sun goes down..So hope this helps but im sure its just anxiety

Thread Information