Thread: Terrified of PCOS?

Terrified of PCOS?

Hi all,
    Firstly, I'm 20 years old and I've had health anxiety for as long as I can remember. I've convinced myself as young as 14 that I had cancer, and I've probably thought I've had every disease under the sun. However, recently I came across an article on PCOS. Whilst, I know there are far worse things to be diagnosed with yes, I'm still terrified that I may have it. Ive always feared for my fertility as I know I want kids when I'm older and the idea of possibly being infertile breaks my heart. My reasons for convincing myself this time are that I have a 'happy trail' as they call it, a line of a few dark hairs from my belly button to my pubic hair. I can remember having this practically since puberty but I made the mistake of shaving it and ever since it seems darker and coarser. I also have a few dark hairs around my nipples but they have definitely been there since puberty. As for facial hair, I don't really have it bad, but having dark hair And pale skin makes it a little noticeable on my upper lip, but it's not a big deal as I don't have to remove it (but it also got worse after shaving).
    I also have some acne on my upper back, but this is often due to (I think) the fact it's hard to reach when I wash, but when I make an extra effort to really scrub the area it seems to improve.
    As for my period, it's usually regular, only slight variations every month of a couple days or so, and the odd delayed or missed period (often stress related). But I always have at least 10 periods a year.
    Otherwise I'm slim, and have no family history with PCOS, although my grandfather did have diabetes.
    Am I overreacting? Or is this considered normal? I'd rather not have to see a doctor about this now as I have appointments for other problems and want them to take me seriously and not as a crazy hypochondriac (although I am!)
    Thank you in advance

Re: Terrified of PCOS?

I have no idea what makes you think you have PCOS. Please don't shave unwanted hair, it just makes it darker. I have olive skin and very dark hair. If you have had health anxiety for 6 years you should talk to your doctor about it. You're only 20 years old and you have a long life ahead of you. Take care.

Thread Information