Thread: Breast ultrasound results

Breast ultrasound results

hi all...i'm recently having a hard time accepting results from a breast ultrasound and am hoping for some insights.

I found a lump two years ago, which my gyno sent me to have ultrasounded. Nothing showed up. She referred me to a breast surgeon, who agreed that since nothing was on the ultrasound, it was fine. She felt the area and thought it felt like dense tissue.

Six months ago, my boss was diagnosed with breast cancer. This spiked my ante about the lump (which is still there but unchanged) so i went back to the breast surgeon for another ultrasound. Same results, nothing there.

For whatever reason, my anxiety is spiking again about the lump and i want additional tests done - MRI, biopsy, something. I can't tell if this is reasonable assurance or just my anxiety.

Can anyone chime in on their experiences here? i made the mistake of googling and got all sorts of information - some that was really scary and most people who had the same experience as me and moved on.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Breast ultrasound results

In my personal opinion I wouldn't if it were me simply because you've had two ultrasounds and nothing has shown up plus the reassurance from a breast surgeon, and I personally think an MRI wouldn't get rid of the fear within itself and if it did you would only move on to something else and get a bunch of tests for that fear instead, if the surgeon is sure that its okay then I wouldn't fuel the fear anymore x

All the best

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

I can very much relate to.how you feel. I had a lump that I found over the summer. I had a mammogram/ultrasound, saw a surgeon 3 times, a second ultrasound and finally a biopsy. It came back benign. I couldn't let the fear go despite the Dr telling me it was nothing.

I went though this 2 years ago and got myself down a nasty rabbit hole. I kept insisting that I needed additional testing and had a doctor that fed into it. The bad thing is i kept getting incidental findings that then needed even MORE TESTING which only made my anxiety worse. I would say that if you have had the tests all come back clear and the doctor isn't worried you're ok.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Thread Information