Thread: Positive effect of medication?

Positive effect of medication?

Hi all, i was just prescribed Escitalopram (lexapro) for my depression and anxiety. I've never taken meds before, but i think it's time. I've read postive and negative experiences about taking medication.

I would like to start this medication with the right mindset. I was wondering has anyone had positive effects from taking medication? Particullary interested in anyone who takes Escitalopram or similar. I'm starting off with a 10mg dose. I'm a little worried about taking my first pill but i really need something to help me

Re: Positive effect of medication?

Quote Originally Posted by Panda22 View Post
    I was wondering has anyone had positive effects from taking medication?
    Many hundreds of millions have benefited from antidepressants. They have kept me almost completely panic free for over 30 years. Without them I literally cannot step foot beyond the front door to get the mail, with them I have traveled the world.

That said, they don't work for everyone. Neither does therapy. And the first med tried may not always be the most effective so some switching may be required to achieve a good result. But there is a very good chance one will work well for you.

I'm starting off with a 10mg dose.
    As you have anxiety in addition to depression ask the prescribing doctor if you can start on only 5mg for the first week to lessen the severity of any side-effects.

Everyone is biologically unique, so while some medications may work for some with great success, others may demonize certain medications due to their poor experiences. Some people have some start-up side effects, whereas others may have minimal or even no start-up side effects. It's important to keep all of these things in mind when starting a medication. Often times these start-up side effects, including a temporary increase in anxiety, fade away with time as your body acclimates to the new medication. Some medications take weeks to take true, 100% effect, but in my experience side effects deteriorate prior to that.

It's also necessary for me to state that medication is quite helpful, but you need to attack anxiety from all angles. This includes possibly seeking therapy and engaging in a healthier lifestyle overall that includes exercise, diet and possibly supplementation. See my blog The Anxiety Press that includes some information on fitness that is geared towards people with anxiety/depression at www.anxietypress.com

Exercise has been a powerful tool in my arsenal to deal with mental health ailments (anxiety/depression) in conjunction with "traditional" treatment. Plus there are a myriad of health benefits to exercise!

I am happy for you that you're taking the proper steps in feeling better. It's a journey that may take some time, but it's a journey worth taking to increase your quality of life.

Medication helped me get through my crisis. It literally slammed me. As pop states we all react differently and its an individual choice. I found this site in my deepest low. I tried to stick with Zoloft, it just wasn't for me. I have made friends here, we email or chat. This helps me and getting outside for some fresh air and sunshine helps. We do need to fight anxiety at all angles and it can be done! You have to tell your brain that you are in charge and not these imaginary dragons, parasite or whatever you want to call it. I recommend reading Bill's thread on the GAD board, "Anxiety is a Symptom" It really helped me and I hope it helps you!

Thread Information