Thread: Fear of Aortic Dissection - Health Anxiety

Fear of Aortic Dissection - Health Anxiety

I'm 28 and in the midst of exams. I'm not so worried about them but it's a stressful time. My anxiety has increased.

On Saturday 9th May, after intercourse, around 8pm, I felt this sensation in my upper belly below my chest. The skin felt painful to the touch. It wasn't a deep pain or even a severe pain but a strange one. When I ran my finger over the skin it felt like all the hairs were being pulled on it, to give you an idea of the sensation.

Knowing this is the area of the aorta I immediately began to worry about that showing my partner a level of anxiety I'd thought I'd got a handle on.

I calmed down, acknowledged I'd jumped to the worst conclusion and went home the next day. On Sunday night I woke up with a start and felt really bad so I called an ambulance. I calmed down by the time it arrived. They gave me an ECG and checked me over and said I was fine. I felt so embarrassed. I went to the GP the next day and relayed my concerns. She checked me over and told me I didn't have an aneurysm or a dissection.

Even now I'm still worried. The skin isn't sore to touch now but a pain is still there when I apply pressure.

I guess I just have to suck it up. If it were anything terribly bad I'd have real problems and not just typical anxiety problems.

So an aortic dissection usually presents as an intense tearing pain that gradually subsides. Most people will feel the pain radiate to other areas and as it gets worse a myriad of other issues come up. It would show up on an ECG and affect general fitness. So, if I'm being logical, I can rule it out. I had a normal ECG, my pain was very mild and was surface level, it's not bad, my fitness is OK and hasn't gotten worse and my GP checked me over.

Yeah, so, to be a normal person I'll just put this to bed now, right? Haha.

So, why did I post here? To give an insight of how the mindset manifests for new sufferers and to seek some reassurance. Maybe someone has had a similar pain?

All the best,

Will
    Last edited by WILLIAMthedude; 09-05-17 at 11:27.

Re: Fear of Aortic Dissection - Health Anxiety

Yep you know you are going to worst case scenario thats unheard of in someone your age. A slightly pulled muscle is the most obvious answer to me reading your post. Your GP has checked you out heart wise and all fine.

Remember Dr's can feel an aortic aneurysm just on exam although if yours felt one you would have made made medical history at your age

It's good you can see how your mind is working, next step is being able to ignore the instant worst case scenario

Thread Information