Thread: feeling awful

feeling awful

im sitting here trying to study but being hit by multiple symptoms, its so hard. when im having 'an attack' i do not suffer from breathing difficulties or heart palpitations, instead my chest is just really tight, tummy feels weird and my arms feel sore/dead- trying to write is extremely difficult. also got a horrible tightness across the top of my back. is all this normal for a panic attack?! im tryin to concentrate on studying for next weeks uni exams but this is making it very difficult. reassurance would be extremely appreciated.

Re: feeling awful

oh hello!
    I get this every day and it can be quite painful. It's tension caused by anxiety. Try to get a bit of relaxation in if you can't. Although you can get this during a panic attack, if muscle tension is your only symptom it's probably just anxiety. Nip it in the bud by trying to find ways to relax and not worry - before it becomes worse. Try going for a walk and simple stretching to loosen those muscles.
    Are you crouched over a desk studying. I think some of the chest pain is caused by hyperventilation as this is easier to do when you are sitting hunched.
    I do hope you don't get or develop panic attacks. Take action now.
    best of luck

thanks bb. yeah i have suffered from individual panic attacks on a few occasions were i actually thought i was dying there and then which is what kicked off this anxiety i now suffer from. i have a bad habit of referring to any symptoms ihave as symptoms of 'panic attacks.' i have this tightness on a daily basis too, its horrendous. do you find it having a strange feeling like it is going up your throat/tongue?! this always seems to come along with these feelings.

Hello !
    Coping with anxiety and tension is bad enough without the stress of exams ! It's no wonder you feel maga-tense like this. It will pass - accept that you're bound to feel like this in these circumstances, it's only natural, BUT you won't always feel like this - so - good luck with your exams and
    Be kind to yourself

yes, yes, it does. It goes right into the back of my tongue. I am so glad you say that it does for you too - it is the weirdest thing and of course when you google it it says 'heart attack'. Which of course it is NOT.

Good luck with your exam preparation - I wish you every success. It's a nerve-wracking time. I don't know how old you are and where you are at with it. But I remember it well and have done so many exams in the past myself. Prepare well, and you will be confident you have tried your best!

Thread Information