Thread: Scared to start Aropax...

Scared to start Aropax...

Hi Everyone,

Today I finally went to the doctor about my anxieties and depression. Well after hearing a whole lot of comparisions about hourses and their riders, and pregnancy (what this has to do with anxiety i have no clue!), I am told to have a blood test and go on a free trial of Aropax.

I think ok, I've heard good things about using medication to help combat the "problems" im having at the moment.

Unfortunatly I just had to do some research on the net about the drug..... The comments I found on Aropax were soooo negative it scares me!!! I didn't find anything positive but pages and pages and pages of the trouble of getting off it, shocks, extreme anxiety. Not to mention the side effects of going on the drug; massive weight gain everyone reported even with strict exercise and dieting, lack of libido.

Since getting home and reading all this stuff I feel all uptight and panicy... Is there something else I should look at taking?? I don't know if I really want to get into something like this it really scares me in the long term...

Thanks to any comments

Re: Scared to start Aropax...

Mate Aropax sent me around the bend.
    Ask for some Lexapro instead and get some diazepam to help you through the first coupla weeks
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Hi! I wasn't sure what aropax was called over here so I googled it and it's another name for seroxat, which I'm sure means a lot more to ppl on here than aropax. Seroxat has a lot of negative press, some of which shouldn't be taken too seriously. There was a lot of hype over here about it being prescribed to under 18s and a supposed rise in suicide rates. However, the media always seem to give more space to the negatives than the positives. I took seroxat/aropax for seven years from the age of 14 and it worked wonders for me. I had no side effects whatsoever, no effect on my libido and I didn't put weight on at all. I also didn't have any withdrawal problems. If you want to find out more about seroxat, use the search facility at the top of this page for more posts and also a site called askapatient.com gives reviews of medications. Bear in mind that everyone's an individual and medications affect them in different ways-don't believe all the hype you hear. It also goes by the names of paroxetine (UK) and paxil (US).

I prolly shoulda said that Lexapro is called Cipralex over there too.
    There one that gets the bad press over here is Effexor

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thanks for the replies^^, well I haven't started taking them yet. Talked to a family friend who is a nurse to see if there is anything else I can look at, but it seems like this drug is the most used here in NZ..

Also .. found out my dad was on the same medication 2 years ago (seperated parents so don't have alot of contact). So now I know where I get my anxiety attacks from. He said that he had alot weight gain :(... Hopefully I can counter it with the exercise I do.

I'm still really nervous over the side effects of this drug. Also everything I read said start on 10mg, and increase in 10mg doses every week. The doctor told me to start on 20mg. From what I read people with panic attacks should start on 10mg to lessen the chance of bad first few weeks.

One thing I wanted to ask was... The doctor gave me expired tablets (january 2007) he said it doesn't matter, but damn... saying that to someone who has anxiety doesn't work too well ;_; should I except that or ask for new subscription????

Thanks again for the help!

Expired tablets-hmm, it's a bit worrying that they are out of date because most pills have a shelf-life of a couple of years, so the tablets you've been given are probably a few years old. However, the doc probably knows best-if they're only a few months out of date then maybe it doesn't make much difference. If you are concerned, I would ask him for a new prescription just to ease your mind.

As for weight gain, I'm a slim/average female and I certainly wouldn't have taken anything that would pile on the pounds! As I said, I stayed at about under 9st all the time I was on seroxat. However, exercise is a great idea for boosting your mood and easing tension.

I think I started on 10mg but I'm not 100% sure. I've never really had any panic attacks myself so I can't comment on an appropriate starting dose, but as I said earlier, I did take 50mg for five or more years with no problems. You should trust your doctor more-I'm sure he knows what he's doing!

Good luck and let us know how you get along,
    Sarah

Hi again, I found out my dad had been on Aropax too and thats when he put on huge amounts of weight (heaviest he had been), add the expired meds I went back and got different subscriptoin. The doctor gave me Citalopram.

Just started them yesterday and feeling horrible >< I know first couple weeks its normal, but theres couple things that is scaring me.

This morning I woke up and my heart is racing non stop, I never got this before taking the meds. It's scary. The other thing is actually very embarrassing... but I'll see if it goes away today><

Should I be worried about the racing heart? I feel hororible

Johno

Thread Information