Thread: How long would it take for breast cancer to kill you without treatment?

How long would it take for breast cancer to kill you without treatment?

One of the most common recurring health worries for me is breast cancer. Almost every time I have a bad health anxiety flare-up I convince myself I've got it but with it being a long-term worry I always panic that I actually have had it since I first developed HA about six years ago, even though logically I know the disease would have progressed enough for other noticeable symptoms to appear by now if that was the case (especially given that I'm only in my early twenties)...

Re: How long would it take for breast cancer to kill you without treatment?

There's not a definite answer to such a question. That being said, you wouldn't be here 6 years untreated after diagnosis.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Untreated for this type of Cancer I'd say no longer than 12 months after noticing a significant problem - if you're alive still. At which point you'd definitely know you had breast Cancer.

A friends wife died from breast Cancer. She was gone within 6 months of noticing a lump ... that was with treatment.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine S View Post
    Guys. ..this is a health anxiety forum remember? Full to bursting with women freaking out thinking every lump and bump is breast cancer and the rest of us trying to calm them down. A bit insensitive to be talking about how long it takes to die from it...complete with stories to prove it.

Might be a question for a breast cancer forum rather than an anxiety & depression forum. Just my thoughts sorry.

C x
    I think it's reassuring for the OP to know. They can be safe in the knowledge it's impossible to live 6 years with undiagnosed breast Cancer.

This forum is not a replacement for professional medical help. If a person has genuine concerns either for their health, or their mental health, they need to visit a doctor. I need to add that to my signature.

If I go round this forum I will find many people recalling their personal experiences be it cancer, heart attack, stroke, meningitis etc.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Might be a question for a breast cancer forum rather than an anxiety & depression forum. Just my thoughts sorry.

C x
    Cath, the LAST thing we want is to have the OP go to a breast cancer forum full of women actually suffering from the disease. The OP quite obviously doesn't have untreated breast cancer for six years. Posting on a cancer forum (or ALS forums as of late for some) is disrespectful to those suffering.

I interpreted the OPs question as "I wouldn't have breast cancer for 6 years would I?" She just asked in an interesting way

The replies do what was intended

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

That's sidestepping my point really though, in that the question itself was a bit insensitive to ask on a health anxiety forum., together with a reply actually giving an example of how long it can take to die from it, would be a major trigger for alot of women here. And not reading the thread doesn't work..women with this phobia will ALWAYS tune in.

I know you have a thing Fish about people who don't have a real illness posting on real illness forums, I get that, but surely women who are on those sites can give all the statistics about how long it takes to die from it? Women with this fear on nmp wouldn't even want to guess. ..theyre too terrified of the reality of it.

It's not a personal attack on anybody, just a small request to anyone replying to please tread carefully with such a sensitive issue. Thanks.

C x
    I agree with Fishmanpa. I've had breast cancer and was active on a BC forum and it's actually quiet insulting for a hypochondriac (if you do not have BC) to come on there and ask questions, especially one of this nature!
    To the OP PLEASE don't go to a BC forum, unless you're actually diagnosed!

Ok, ive no energy to debate this so will delete with apologies.No offence intended, just a few of my thoughts.

Cath
    Last edited by Catherine S; 14-06-17 at 01:34.

I won't tell any stories, because I certainly don't want to trigger anyone. However, something to think about is that when organizations compile statistics for cancer survival rates, generally they count people who have made it for 5 years as a full survival. So, if you had a suspicious symptom that started 6 years ago and are still alive, that would mean that if (1) it was cancer and (2) you had been diagnosed within a year of noticing your symptom, you would statistically be a cancer survivor having received no treatment whatsoever. Seems far more likely (i.e. 100% by my estimates) that it's benign and you have nothing to worry about

Thread Information