Thread: Dumb ALS Fears

Dumb ALS Fears

Hi guys. This will be quick. Today I was eating some really overcooked steak, and I kept having to swallow twice to get it all down. It felt like it didnt all get down my throat.

As far as I can tell it was only a problem with the meat. Is this normal? I know repetivive swallowing is an issue in ALS but AFAIK liquids are a bigger problem, and it would be all food not just really rough steak.

Kinda dumb but need some reassurance.

Like I said in another post, I'm starting zoloft and I also see my neuro tomorrow, so I can double check that the spots he EMG'd me would show bulbar issues (I think he did but not positive)

Thanks all,
    hope this can all be behind me soon.

Vinny

Re: Dumb ALS Fears

My knowledge of ALS is poor but there are plenty on here who know that beast quite intimately so I expect they will be able to help shortly.

What I can from an anxiety angle is that swallowing issue certainly are part of it. I can remember struggling to swallow food because I was just so tense. And some obsess over the action of swallowing to the point of making their throats saw.

Something to consider is frequency too. Just today? So, you know you have to see patterns before thinking something may need checking out because you may not have it again.

Only so many times we can point you to this thread, no matter how many threads you post.

That is the extent of ALS knowledge on this forum. We are laymen the same as you. If you can't be reassured by the post above, you need to talk to a medical professional (which I see you're doing).

To reiterate one more time, you're 19. Your chance of getting ALS is vanishingly unlikely.

"I came for some reassurance"

That's your problem right here.

Thread Information