Thread: confusion over symptoms

Question confusion over symptoms

i hope this makes sense, it may sound a bit unclear! my 'main' symptom of anxiety is what i think is chest pain and has led me to formulate constant thoughts that im about to have a heart attack. 4months on thats a long heart attack! the symptoms are particularly bad the day after drinking. the thing is the more i concentrate on it, the more it feels like it could actually be my stomach and i am confusing this with chest pain. i know it sounds stupid but im hoping i could be on to something. any1 else ever had similar feelings>?!

Re: confusion over symptoms

Hiya
    Yes i have exactly the same thing. Chest pains that get worse after drinking. My doctor said it was because of the muslces lining the heart wall were becomeing tence when i worried. Dont know why they incresed after drinking but they do. He suggesed something like yoga to help with relaxation and breathing.
    Have you seen you GP? They will proberly beable to help
    Take care
    Blackie

Hi NBS

This is from the symptoms section of the forum, it may help.

Heart palpitations, chest pain, irregular beats, flutters, skipped beats

What you feel:

One of the most worrying symptoms is chest pains or a tight feeling in your chest. The immediate thought is "heart attack" or "stroke" and this only worries you more. You may also notice that your heartbeat is incredibly fast or irregular at times having palpitations and again this leads to the worry that you will have a heart attack.

Often the chest muscles may feel very tight, and sometimes they can become painful if they are tight enough to spasm. Because the individual may become concerned that they may be having a heart attack, their fear will add to the stress biology which can not only worsen the pain, but can produce other symptoms similar to a heart attack such as profuse sweating, light-headedness and numbness in the arms, feet or face.
    These increased symptoms can also cause more fear which then can turn into a panic attack
    Your heart feels like it skips a beat or flops in your chest. It sometimes may feel like a tickle in your chest that makes you cough. If you take your pulse, you'll notice that sometimes the beats are unevenly spaced.
    You may experience a tightness or pressure in the chest. Sometimes you may feel shooting pains, or muscle twitches, or just an uneasiness or fullness in the chest area which causes you concern

There is no evidence that panic and anxiety has any adverse effect on the heart and the pains are easily explained.

What causes this:

Stress biology causes the heart rate to increase. It does this so that the body is ready to take action. It’s like in drag racing, drivers get their RPM’s up prior to the green light so that they can hit the light with maximum torque. Since the stimulant hormone adrenaline, the body’s super fuel, is produced when danger is perceived, the heart rate is naturally increased.

Once the stimulant is used and eliminated from the body, the heart rate will return to its normal range.
    Moderate regular exercise helps to regulate this symptom.
    When you start panicking the whole of your body becomes tense and this includes your muscles.
    The chest pains you experience are due to the constricting of the chest wall muscles and the muscles between your ribs and not due to any actual muscles in your heart and the best cure is to start stretching these muscles gently to relieve the pain. Although you may not feel like doing any exercise whilst getting these pains, try stretching your arms above and behind your head, out to the sides and bending over gently to relieve the pain.

Naturally most people are dreadfully worried about their hearts but if your G.P. has given you the all clear cardiac wise - then do not be alarmed if the chest pains and palpitations come back and last for more than a day. If it is related to panic, although it is painful and worrying, the pains will subside if you try gentle exercise and ignore them.
    Regular exercise and deep relaxation help to minimize this symptom. Also, staying away from artificial stimulants such as caffeine, chocolate, high doses of raw sugar (such as pastries, sweets, cookies, etc.) and smoking help to keep this symptom in check.
    Dull ache

chest pains

Love

Andrea
    xxxxx

Hi nbs,

What you describe and the worries that go with it are very common. For anxiety sufferers it is normal behaviour to focus on the symptom which is causing distress. All of this of course heightens the anxiety but noone has ever died from panic attacks. Have you had counselling because that might help you to retrain your thought pattern and teach you how to accept the symptoms of anxiety until they go away.

Sounds like you should take up drag racing as a career!

Take care,

Hi nbs,

I wonder what you mean when you say you're not sure if you're confusing it with stomach symptoms? When I have anxiety related heart symptoms (pains in chest and palpitations) I sometimes get a feeling near my heart, pressure, like something's blocked, and I need to burp a lot to relieve it. Heartburn? I really don't know, but it's right up there near the heart and seems to be a digestive thing.

I'm not sure if that's similar to what you've had, but thought I'd write just in case that's reassuring! I rarely get it these days, but had it a lot when my panic attacks/anxiety first started.

Linda x

hi guys, ive the same problem. evry single day i think i coukd have a heart attack. sometimes ive chest pains and the more i think about it the more i worry. Im taking Lexapro & Clonazepam. Im better now but the pains are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by feartie View Post
    Hi nbs,

I wonder what you mean when you say you're not sure if you're confusing it with stomach symptoms? When I have anxiety related heart symptoms (pains in chest and palpitations) I sometimes get a feeling near my heart, pressure, like something's blocked, and I need to burp a lot to relieve it. Heartburn? I really don't know, but it's right up there near the heart and seems to be a digestive thing.

I'm not sure if that's similar to what you've had, but thought I'd write just in case that's reassuring! I rarely get it these days, but had it a lot when my panic attacks/anxiety first started.

Linda x

linda that sounds very similar. i often get that 'blocked up' feeling and am forever feeling the need to burp. heartburn is another thing that has crossed my mind but i was on tablets for it and all the usual stuff(gaviscon etc) and it didnt clear it up at all. its nice and reassuring to here of a similar case tho. thanks for the help

You're very welcome nbs. Yeah, to be honest, I'm not very sure what the symptoms are for heartburn (probably more pain than I experienced) ~ but my doc told me to take Gavison too. It didn't help, and I think I'm glad of it, cause I'd hate to take that stuff all the time, it's so horrible! ;-)

Still not sure what the cause is, but at least these days it doesn't worry me, and hope it doesn't worry you for too much longer either.

Linda x

P.S. actually, just had a thought... maybe we swallow more when anxious, and are swallowing air? I've heard of that... would explain things... don't know. Just another theory!

Thread Information