Thread: Anxiety is driving me mad...again

Anxiety is driving me mad...again

Hi there

I have been an anxiety sufferer for just over six years now. Mine started as a tic/OCD kind of thing which eventually scared me so much that my nervous system kind of collapsed.

Anyway, ive been pretty much ok for the last six months or so (I am on 20mg citalopram), I still have my hideous tics/obsessions 24 hours a day but I have felt quite relaxed and happy.

However, ive started to feel awful again. One of my tics is that I am constantly aware of my breathing to the extent that I can't breathe properly and feel like I am suffocating, or that I have something tight wrapped around my chest. First question: is this an obsession or more of a common anxiety symptom? As a result of this I have a very nervous stomach, the waves of anxiety are coming all the time (Dr Claire Weekes brilliantly describes it as someone squeezing a lemon in your stomach!)

I am very concerned about myself, I have been a bit haphazard with my pill taking over the last few months, could this be the reason? It scares me that without the medication my nervous system just goes mad. I have had horrible experiences at night where I am kind of asleep and awake and my body is doing the most horrendous things to itself, absolutely horrible.

Some reassurance is much neededxx

Re: Anxiety is driving me mad...again

Hi Rachy

I think you may have answered your own question when you say that your pill taking has been a bit erratic over the last few months.

From what I can gather, most meds rely on a maintained level in your body in order to work and if this is going up and down all the time it's no wonder there are effects.

Now, this is only my opinion and I may be way off beam here. So I hope someone more knowledgable than me will respond to you.

But I would say to please try and take your meds regularly

Hope it won't be long before you are feeling a lot better

Re: Anxiety is driving me mad...again

Hi there rachy.

Well, I confess I don't know a lot about OCD. But I do know about anxiety and I get the symptoms you describe. I am often aware of my breathing and pulse. I feel palpitations and my chest often feels tight. This makes me worry more and it feels worse because there's more adrenaline.

I take seroxat and this helps me be in control a bit more. now when I feel a symptom I can usually talk myself out of it with controlled breathing exercises. Also bad tummy was my very first symptom. Its purely adrenaline caused by anxiety, which then makes you feel worse and can build up horribly. But you can learn to control it. I don't know if you're seen them but there are some good self-help things here. It does take practice and determination, because the anxiety can be persistent. You just have to be more persistent, like with a naughty child! Don't give in..

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.So sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Thread Information