Thread: my battle with pure o

my battle with pure o

sigh yeah its drivin me nuts
    seriously i need help with it ocd i can live with health anxity i can put up with but your own head against you it so damn hard ive tryed everything,
    ignoring it,battling it,countering it, everything only seems to work for a week tops does anyone know where i can get help for this i dont have a job i cant pay pycologists my counciler gave me some cbt but that only worked for a little bit and its my last session with her next monday. its starting to get me down for fear that my head constantly reapeating i wish i had a heart attack will make me have one started since my dad had one and passed away. ive been battling this for a year now ive made so much progress i refuse to let this win but i cant get rid of this forever unless i stop the pure o please i really need help :( (if you dont know what pure o is google it)

Re: my battle with pure o

Hi there,
    thankyou for your reply on my thread. I know i'm not in too good a place myself at the moment but I have experienced your type of symptoms before and managed to beat them.

My suggestions to you are either;

Decide to put some time aside each day (ie fifteen mins in morning and at night) to have your thoughts. If they come just say to yourself 'ok, we'll have this discussion tonight/in the morning/whenever'

Turn the thought on its head, say to yourself 'I want to have a heart attack', trick your pure thoughts, you need to take back the control. I am assuming that deep down you know that realistically you cannot have a heart attack from thinking that you might. I could tell myself that i'm going to win the lottery all day, but i'm 99.99999999etc% not going to!

OCD is an evil thing but try and play it at it's own gamexx

Quote Originally Posted by deamond117 View Post
    sigh yeah its drivin me nuts
    ignoring it,battling it,countering it, everything only seems to work for a week tops
    Have you tried accepting the thought? Sounds like a bad idea eh but it’s the only thing that has worked for me. You can't resist thoughts, they just pop into your head - you can control your reaction though. A week isn’t long enough to work on a technique either, you have to give it a few weeks - don’t be too quick to give up on a technique if you don’t get instant results, the chances of instant results are very slim.
    Have a read through the OCD section on this site (link below), I have the book from his site and it's been a Godsend for obsessive thoughts. Good luck xxx

http://www.anxieties.com/

hi there, firstly there is no where that will hold the magic answer that comes from you, as you know there is support and help but you hold the key to your own recovery. thoughts are habbits, and they can be broken changed and forgotten, trust me I have been there.

thoughts are triggered by keywords or something we see, so we have to re- programme our mind and memory ( sounds hard i know ) if you keep going it does work, ie - each night i used to lie there trying to sleep and couldnt because i could hear myself screaming inside, it would drive me nuts , so what i did was change it to a giggle, did it every night i lay there imagining myself giggling and smiling - eventually I muffled out the scream and now sleep like a baby ! I know it sounds mad but by changing the thoughts and taking control we re- programme .

i would write down your 5 worst thoughts and work on them take key words from each thought and change it - every time the old thought pops into your head mentally say STOP and replace it with the new one posative thinking, eventually the posative thought will be automatic.

hope this makes sense, was hard trying to put into words but it works !!

good luck

Thread Information