Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How does summer affect you?

Re: How does summer affect you?

Weather definately affects mood: it's official. According to the BBC the full moon tends to increase violence in and around Britain (particularly Brighton for some reason) and there are statistics to back this up. As such, it doesn't take too much of a leap of faith to believe that extreme heat does 'something' to us anxiety sufferers. See below:

I read something on another website which gives a medical reason for heightened anxiety levels during heatwaves, paraphrased below:
    "high warmth increases the levels of nervous information generated and subsequent processing required by the hypothalamus, an organ that is already stressed out in sustained anxiety.

In some people this could be enough to cause ACTH levels to rise to a level high enough to cause a 'tipping point' whereby anxious feelings are increased to a level where they become symptomatic and then the mental/physical cycle starts from there"

Believe it or not, that's made me feel a bit happier. Any explanation is better than nothing when anxiety is increased!

From a very hot and sweaty and stressed out Kay x

Those are some interesting facts Kay, I like it when there's an explanation too!

I'm like a packet of biscuits: store in a cool dry place.

I do agree that cold is easier to deal with than heat, but apart from the heat the thing I really can't deal with in summer is the light. Not only do the longer days mean I can only sleep with an eye mask, which is uncomfortable, but being outside when it's bright is very difficult, especially without sunglasses. My eyes are quite photosensitive and I get very disorientated and headachy when it's sunny.

A little bit of sunlight is nice though, I like warmish days in the autumn where there's less sweat and glare but enough sun to warm my bones

I love the sunshine but the heat and humidity especially brings on a panic attack with me which is horrible - I hyperventilate and panic that I will faint and keel over !!! Wenjoy x

Thank you all for your replies. This has been really interesting. I suppose I do get a bit down if I can't go out in winter. But I'm much happier to wrap up and go out when its bright & chilly, than when its hot. I tend to stay inside because I feel so uncomfortable. I prefer Spring and Autumn, then Winter and last summer. I always look forward to it, but I hate the humidity.

My daughter and I both don't like the heat, so we had a slow stroll around the chilled section in sainsbury the other day when I went to buy ice lollies! We felt much better afterwards...

Interesting facts Kay. I see from my cats (who are crazy when its windy or storm coming) and from the children at the school where I work (who are also much more lively when its windy in the playground) that weather really does affect us. I too feel better when I have an explanation. I was reassured when I read the explanation of heartbeats, and the effects of adrenaline here on the forum, and your explanation helps me too. Its good to have some intellectual understanding, even if my body doesn't always listen, lol.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.So sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover.

I feel so much better in the summer when we have the light nights- i become more irrational when its dark. It just gets too humid here. at least when you go abroad you're not working etc so dont have to cope with it the same.

Linda xxx

I can really sympathise with all you who find the hot weather difficult. I spent a few hours in a sweltering classroom yesterday evening and spent most of the night panicing as a result. I think, like you, I feel that becoming hot is a trigger for an attack. I'm still feeling pretty anxious about it, but hopefully this will subside becauase I really enjoyed the class and want to go back. I'll definitely try wearing the ice cold rag, see if that helps.
    Nicola

One thing which I do find useful is Magicool. You might have seen it advertised on tv. Being in the car can be difficult if its a hot day and you are stuck in traffic without air conditioning. Feeling hot and unable to escape the heat is not good!

Magicool can be sprayed on your skin and around the inside of the car to cool the air. When I was feeling particularly bad I took this on holiday to Butlins as I was dreading the car journey, and it really helped me feel more in control.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.So sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Hi Insomniac

I HATE the summer - in fact I dread it. The heat just makes me feel so ill. I can't breathe properly especially when it gets humid, and this increases my anxiety and panics.

Where do you buy Magicool?

hi... i absolutely love it IF i'm just in my garden and can escape from the heat... but i hate it if i im stuck in the hot sun... for example, i went to a beach the other day and it was boiling, i hadnt been to that particular one before and had to walk quite a distance until i got onto it, i was completely freaking out cos i just kept thinking "if i get sun stroke its gonna take ages to get back to the car"...

i've had sun stroke before and i'm terrified i'll get it again... plus my panic attacks started abroad when it was hot, my panic and anxiety levels went from zero to sky high in the space of 24 hours...

my fella's bioyfriend brought us tickets for a festival on 3rd,4th and 5th august and with all these people saying its gonna be a record breaking hot summer i keep getting REALLY anxious about it... i cant handle anything above 21*C...

Hi,

I do feel a little more edgy in the summer and although i do like the warmth, the heat makes me flush and that sets me off panicking.

Josephinex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information