Thread: Finding a level with mood swings

Finding a level with mood swings

Hi, just kind of wanted to put my mind at rest and ask if others suffer from erratic mood swings, I'm sure it's because I'm experiencing severe anxiety and depression at the moment but I can't seem to find a level I'm constantly having anxiety attacks with adrenaline rushes and bad thoughts just steam on in, then it eases of a little and I can begin to try and think more positive thoughts which slowly help to calm me a bit then back down again etc I can't seem to find a level one minute I reassure myself I'll get better again then my mood drops and I'm never going be better again. everything just seems to pop up in my head and I feel powerless to all, but even just trying to write this my head feels overwhelmed I can't even think clearly enough to write exactly how I feel with this, my concentration is terrible. Think I just need to try and calm down and relax a bit, I'm not new to all this I've suffered with anxiety and depression etc since 2004 and have struggled through it everyday since at some degree but each time it comes back severe in a big way it feels like I have to train myself all over again to cope with it and regain some control back slowly and over time get everything as manageable as i can, apologies if non of this makes much sense
    Last edited by ABE1981; 12-09-17 at 19:31.

Re: Finding a level with mood swings

Yeah, I used to feel like this too. Still get the odd sudden rush of fear sometimes, but not as much as I used to and it's always when I'm stressed by something.

I think you're dead right about having to calm down. Guided meditation mp3's really helped me with this - I can't do it without being guided, but that's OK by me. Sounds like you know what to do, it's just a question of doing it in a way that works for you.

Have you thought about using a hypnotherapy mp3 to help you relax? Worked wonders for me.

All the best, take care

Hi thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Think it's all because I felt I was doing Ok for several months and bang I'm back at the starting line. I'm just finding it hard adjusting to the severe levels again after having a good break. I will look into the MP3 relaxing/meditation self help CDs. Think it's hard realising only I can help me when you feel so low as well. You kind of just want to get on with life not spend all your waking hours trying to beat how you feel. But I'll get there in time. Thanks

You're welcome

Btw, I don't know if you've ever read Tim Cantopher's book about depression, but he mentions that when you're in recovery and have a period of good days, it tends to throw the occasional bad day into sharp relief, which makes it feel so much worse in comparison. Don't let a few bad days make you feel like you've made no progress, if you try and look at it objectively you'll probably see you've made great strides forward. Keep your chin up.

Thread Information