Thread: My latest crazy- Parasite

My latest crazy- Parasite

Please, I need a lot of attention with this one. I am absolutely out of my mind with worry of a roundworm exposure (my kids and their friends).

Here is the situation. About a year ago, we had our deck redone and a section removed entirely. After the small section that we decided to remove was down entirely, we discovered a pile of raccoon poo (I am fairly sure it was raccoon as we used to see raccoons go under the deck).

TRIGGER WARNING IF YOU FEAR ZOONOTIC DISEASE

It turns out, raccoon poo harbors a terrible roundworm egg that lives in the environment for YEARS, outside a host. The CDC recommends cleaning it with a propane torch, which we did, as well as pots and pots of boiling water. WE removed the soil where the poop was.

So the poop pile (which was maybe 2 sq feet) was in a section of about 60 sq feet of gravel. In addition to clearing the poop-soil, we also torched the gravel, raked it over, and torched again. HOw well did we do? I don't know. The eggs are microscopic so all I can do is hope I did a good job.

There was too much gravel to dispose of it entirely, so I moved a lot of it to a trail on our property that we don't use much.

Well, over the weekend, I found my 11 year old son out there with his friends, and my 3 year old was out there for a little bit, too. Each of the boys has a younger sister, my daughter is 3, one boy's sister is 2, and the other boys' sister is 4.

TRIGGER WARNING AGAIN

Young children are most at risk of contracting the raccoon roundworm disease due to putting things in their mouth. Much of the writing on the roundworm cases (yes, it is very rare, only 25 cases since 1980) talks about actually ingesting the poop or soil being implicated in getting the disease. Basically, raccoon roundworm is a parasitic worm that grows to 12 inches long and can travel to the eyes and brain. It wreaks havoc in small children, basically destroying their brains. Children who get it can die, or else end up blind, in a vegetative state, or aware but having lost the ability to see, sit, stand, walk, talk, and do everything in life you pretty much want to do.

Now, I am a catastrophizer. I never let an occasion go by without concocting some tragic story out of it. Here is the current one- that the boys tracked the eggs on their shoes, trailed it in my house, but even worse will take it home with them to their own homes, where their little sisters will get the chance to chew on the shoes (in the case of the little one) or have it get transferred to their toys or carpet that they they chew or put in their mouth. I will absolutely DIE if anything happens to any of these three girls.

My husband is sick to death of me, but I am so stressed over this. It has even made me forget about my cancer fears. The incubation period is only a month (they say) but, because the eggs can live years and are very sticky, I guess there will be a possibility for more than a year or until these girls get out of the Danger will robinson window of time.

So, anyone want to say anything? PLEASE????

I know this is a novel and there really is nothing to say, that I have created a catastrophe that may never happen and is really unlikely to happen.

BUt, it does happen...so...I am stuck with that thought.

Re: My latest crazy- Parasite

Welcome to another episode of "Stories of the HA Mind". I'm your host, FMP.

There's a woman that believes an incredibly rare parasite worm species found in raccoon poo has infected her family from a year old pile of gravel mixed with "possible" raccoon poo! Her story, after a word from our sponsors...

With respect no... Just no....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

You've got a whole lot of "what ifs" going on in here. So, examine them and counter evidence what they are telling you. These "what ifs" have built on top of each other with more & more unlikely scenarios emerging so treat them as a tree branching off and cross each branch out. The more you reduce each step in this tree, the more you reduce any likelihood of ever reaching the worst of your fears.

You have evidence already. For instance, 25 cases since 1980. How many raccoons live in the US? How many people live in areas where their are raccoons? How many people experience raccoon poo in their living areas & parks? How ,any children play in those areas? But how many cases have ever been seen?

Wanted to circle back and say thanks, Terry and Fishman.

Terry, yes, there are a lot of what ifs in my thinking, and I can only hone in on the terrible what ifs. It is so hard for me to think that I actually cleaned the yard properly.

BUt, I know that I did all that I can do and the chances are really low and that we are all exposed in some way to microbes that can harm us.

I think I'm doing better with it all! NOw, back to cancer (I kid, I kid, but sadly not really :-( )

Thread Information