Thread: Work wants access to my medical records

Work wants access to my medical records

I've just received a letter today from my work stating they want me to give them my consent so that the can obtain a medical report from my GP.

Until today I didn't even know it was possible for them to access my medical records, I thought that was private personal information.

A lot of the more serious things, I have told my psychologist rather than my GP. Although my GP does know that I have been feeling suicidal a few weeks ago.

I have been off work for 5 months now and tbh I thought that I would have been back by now. But every time I think I'm getting better, I seem to slip back down.

I'm scared that they will either make me go back when I'm not ready too or that they will sack me.

When I phoned work to explain that I had another sick note for 4 weeks they asked if my GP had given any indication to when I would be returning. I don't think they understand mental illness at all.

I am also drained physically atm with a bug. Started with a sore throat on Monday and on Wednesday I was almost sick in the middle of town a few times going to my psychology appointment. I've not improved since then. I have no voice and I am lies in bed trying not to throw up. My bones hurt as well. As if the depression and anxiety wasn't bad enough.

I am just wondering if any of you have been in a similar position.

Re: Work wants access to my medical records

They are allowed to ask by law but you are under no obligation to grant access by law and it can't affect your rights.

It's simply that data protection laws prevent sharing your medical records outside of the medical community.

Mine did the same. I refused. It's none of their business, a sick note from a doctor is enough. A doctor can always make recommendations on that sick note.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    They are allowed to ask by law but you are under no obligation to grant access by law and it can't affect your rights.

It's simply that data protection laws prevent sharing your medical records outside of the medical community.

Mine did the same. I refused. It's none of their business, a sick note from a doctor is enough. A doctor can always make recommendations on that sick note.
    Thanks, they say it's in my best interests to give them access because if I don't then they will be forced to make decisions without a medical opinion. It doesn't seem right to me.

Are you still being paid ?

Hi I agree that it is private information but it may help them understand more about your problems like Terry says on sick note more information can be put on there By law your employer has to accomodate you in times of serious illness you can also talk to ACAS about this as they have very good knowledge on issues like this and will help you I have been in a similar situation to you and had a dreadful supervisor who assured me if I kept ringing in sick they would take my job off me well I now have a new supervisor who suffers from depression too and is very helpful and understanding with my condition. Good luck Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by littleme92 View Post
    Thanks, they say it's in my best interests to give them access because if I don't then they will be forced to make decisions without a medical opinion. It doesn't seem right to me.
    Yes, they will try that one on as an excuse. The fact is they should have access to their own occupational health and they refer to them because your GP's opinion isn't the only source to them. They will, in fact, look to an in-house assessment to guide them over an external doctor.

What I told mine is that there were things in my medical records which have no bearing on my work and I want them to remain with my GP only or other NHS workers to help with my health.

You are entitled to see anything your GP writes before it is sent back and you can then refuse to send it back or request amendments prior to doing so form your GP.

The question for me is - how are they able to make any best judgements using medical information without an intepretation from someone trained to do so. A HR person isn't a doctor. So, they will either have to go to their occupational health team anyway or guess. And they may get that wrong anyway or simply disagree with your GP as is their right despite having no medical training to do so as the law doesn't force a GP's assessment on them.

I suggest talking to your GP to see what they think. They may be against the idea as it won't be any help to you.

If you are giving your employer enough information about your condition, it really won't do much. How does telling someone you are on X med or out to X therapy for X weeks help anyone? Your GP puts your diagnosis on the FIT note anyway.

Thread Information