• I have an understanding of my panics but doubt still creeps in

19 54.29%
  • I bash the fear with facts and stand repeating those truths to myself

6 17.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do we feel after a panic attack

How do we feel after a panic attack

I had the worst panic attack in my life last night. Normally I just have the tension and the feelings of doom but it escalated into a full blown panic attack, and all the old fears came flooding back and they brought along some of their friends as well
    Even now I feel shattered by the experience, which is due to the panic and the lack of sleep.

I know this is all in my mind and I know that I cant be hurt by an attack and I wont die, yet if you had asked me that last night I would have said "ahhhhhhhhh I am going to die"

There where times during the attack when I could seperate myself from the attack..sounds strange but what I mean is, Part of me could see the logical side ("Hey dont worry you have been here before and you will be ok")
    The other panic side of me was running around like a headless chickin with a paper bag in one hand and a phone in the other

There is a great passage in the Bible about st peter leaving the boat and walking on the water and for a moment or two he manages to walk on the water but suddenly fear grips him and he starts to sink and Jesus reaches out and supports him back to the boat. The one thing that changed was peter became fearful. Nothing else changed.

What I draw from this in relation to my own panic is that, nothing around me changes. I could be watching a good movie and wham panic-I could be out walking and wham panic....Our situation has not changed but our mind has invited fear in. (does this make sense?)

How many of us are able to look back with a rational mind after the attacks and pick out the positive or even confront the negative points..Its just something I have been trying to do over the last couple of weeks and maybe some of you are doing this just now. If so what does work for you.

I wish everyone the best of health and never give up hope because one day we will all move forward step by step

Re: How do we feel after a panic attack

hiya purplehaze,

this is exactly the same for me and i suppose most ppl on here?

my book explains about these voices - or has he calls them 'observers'

the 'part' of you that stayed rational is the 'supportive observer' the part of you that KNOWS that you will not go crazy/die/lose control, which is the part you have to find again in times of crises and also develop ALL of the time

the other voices are the worried, critical and helpless observers which all lead to anxiety and panic.

i hope your getting this?
    anyway if your not i am experiencing very strong panics and as a result i am AVOIDING so your not alone. also you can get this book that explains all of the above from amazon i think? its called 'dont panic' by R REID WILSON

all the best emma

To Be Honest With Ya When My Paic Is Over I Just Try And Not Think About It.........but Thats Me I Just Want To Move Forward,i Do Question Myself Why Am I So Bad This Month,sometimes I Have No Idea But There Is A Reason,sometimes We Just Cant Put Our Finger On It,like Me Im A Worry Wort, I Think Of Things 2 Weeks From Now And Get Anxious But When That Day Comes Im Fine,its The Anticapation Of It All I Guess,............best To Ya.......linda Xx

First off, i love the analogy of Peter on the water. I couldn't agree more with ya there. I too have been having bad panic attacks and it brought on avoidance issues... like avoiding getting up and walking around. But as time goes on and i learned more and more i am steadily improving. Don't feel alone, i am rocking the same boat as you. After i have an attack i try to regroup and immediatly get back up so that the fear doesnt equate with the situation. i think that is where i messed up the first time around when my attacks came back in march, i just laid down and gave up and it took root. Now i try to get up and not let it take hold of me. Feel free to contact me if you ever need anyone to talk to. That goes for everyone on this site! Hope you conquer this faux-disease ASAP!

Hi,
    I did not answer the poll as I couldn't figure out what one to go for.

After a panic attack (which I don't really feel I get, more just prolonged anx), I generally feel really really tired. I often go to bed really early on these days (as early as 6pm!)
    I am not very rational during these times in terms of reducing my anx, but I do know the physical symptoms I am experiencing are a side effect of anx and nothing more, I don't think I am going to die or anything.
    I do frequently deep breathe during states of anx. I have perfected it so that I can do it without too many people knowing I am doing it!

happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

I feel drained, tired, exhausted, frustrated, useless, depressed, fed-up, angry....many things.

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

I always feel so tired I don't know if its me wanting to get away from the world though! Always go to bed for a couple of hours after a panic...when I can

Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember

I feel very tired..Go to bed but can't sleep....can also be very snappy...Light headed...feel sick the list is endless.

I talk to myself often during a panic...like you so don't worry your not mad!!!
    Half my head is trying to calm down and the other sometimes says no your not...I try and go with the flow now. I tell myself ok I'm having a panic what you gonna do about it!

You have to take control of it not the other way round.

Zena

Hi everyone,

I feel very tired and drained but try to give myself credit for getting through the attack. It's not always easy to do this of course but I try and bring to mind positive statements such as 'You can learn from bad experiences too and getting through the attack shows strength'.

Take care,

I know what you mean. While Panic Attacks are very unpleasant and you start to have one, sometimes it's best to get one done and over with so then it's out the way with for the next few minutes, hours, or days. For that alone I'd give myself credit for them for making you feel nice and relaxed after having one. Though sometimes, I feel tired and worn out after having one. I think it's pleasing to know you've got through it nevertheless.

I do many distractions such as reading a book, playing video games or doing some gardening or practicing my breathing exercise to lower their severity.

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze229538
    I wish everyone the best of health and never give up hope because one day we will all move forward step by step
    Why thank you, and the same goes for you and everyone else too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information