Hello all,

I avoid medications where possible, but do use diazepam on occasion. Despite my infrequent useage, I would say that it doesn't have an enormous effect on me. For example, I might go two weeks without having anything and then if I just need some respite from the constant dread I might take 6mg which can just take the edge off (sometimes).

On about 3 occasions I've taken 10mg. This works better to relax me, especially on an empty stomach.

I was wondering whether it would be safe to take 20mg of Diazepam prior to a general anaesthetic. Obviously I would discuss with the doctor too, but I was wondering if anybody here had any insight. I legitimately may have the worst fear of general anaesthetic than anyone else on this forum (nay, the world!) and I don't think 10mg would cut it in these circumstances. Or are there any other pre-surgery drugs that would be any better?

If it makes any difference I'm essentially very healthy with no conditions. I'm just underweight at the moment (<18 BMI) due to anxiety.

I'm not even sure I'll need general anaesthetic yet. But just wondering.

Thanks,

Jenny