Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babinski

Babinski

Just wanted to doublecheck a couple of things with those of you in the know. There's conflicting info all over the internet (quelle surprise):

1) You absolutely can't accurately perform this on yourself, right?
    2) A "silent" result is normal too?

Re: Babinski

Yes and yes

Also, knowing your delusion, I need to add, Babinski is not considered when diagnosing ALS.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh1234 View Post
    Yes and yes

Also, knowing your delusion, I need to add, Babinski is not considered when diagnosing ALS.
    Thanks, Josh. It is though!

Quote Originally Posted by melfish View Post
    Thanks, Josh. It is though!
    It's really not, though. It's so far down on the list of things they are looking for diagnostically, it's barely worth mentioning.

Hmmm, I'm not sure you're right there. Abnormal reflexes are one of the three key diagnostic issues, along with weakness and atrophy.

Would you believe it if I told you I'm now afraid of my feet, scared I'll inadvertently "babinski" myself. It's every bit as crazy as it sounds. I used to always run around barefoot, now I'm always in boots or sneakers :(

I hope time will help you with your ALS phobia. We twitchers understand how scary it can be, but you need to condition your brain to see these twitches for what they truly are .... harmless. You have probably been twitching for years you just never really noticed. Everyone twitches. I forgot about the babinski test until i read this. I use to use my keys lol. You have to just let it go that's the only way go get past this. If u feel or see a twitch f it . It's just a twitch ! I have a hot spot on my hand for 2 days now I now enjoy watching it, a year ago I would have schedule an appointment with my neurologist. Babinski is used for testing upper motor neurons, so if one would associate it with ALS he or she would have other major symptoms along with it. I was told this by a neurologist. A silent babinski is supposedly harmless if no other major symptoms persist. A Neuro surgeon I work with just told me that lol. It's best to leave all these tests to the professionals they know what to look for.

Thanks, Nivek. I was wondering that today: whether a Babinski sign would occur along with other UMN issues like spasticity or clonus. One would assume so.

Oh god I twitch everywhere! My eye, my legs are constantly twitching, my hands, my back, shoulders, everywhere - I've been twitching for almost 6 months straight. I'm over worrying about it to be honest it's far too draining, I'm not even going to look up Babinski and I'm proud of myself for it.... * sweats - hand tremble as they slowly hover over the B* NOOOOOOO!!!!! I wont I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!

Good idea, Tan. Ignorance is bliss. I wish I could unread all the stuff I've ever laid eyes on about this cruel disease. I wish it weren't in my head.

You have to stop looking into it Mel. And just accept whatever happens happens. I thought man if I do have this wtf can I do about it? I'm sure I would regret all the useless worrying I dis when I was able to walk and talk lol. I started living not giving a dam about it and enough time had passed to prove to myself I was ok. We are all promised death, so we all need to live while we're here! Stop p all this worrying and panicking, and go live. Leave the research and test to the doctors and trust them. This phobia is horrible and just like ALS it too can make you a prisoner of your own body. Stay busy and start working out or do yoga lol. BFS is a mystery don't try to understand it just accept it for what it is. BENIGN!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information