Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lymph nodes have me worried

Lymph nodes have me worried

I noticed a tiny lump in my neck in June. I had a cold back then so I wasn't worried about the node. Since then another lump showed up above it and two more on the opposite side of my neck, pretty much parallel to the older ones. None of the lumps are large, the oldest one being the size of a pea. There is often discomfort when tilting and turning my neck to my right shoulder. This isn't usually present in the morning but grows over the day, I'm guessing it's because I keep nervously prodding them.

I can't tell if me touching them is keeping them enlarged. I've restrained myself all week from touching them and am now waiting to see what changes. I've been sleeping on my back and exercising every day to see if the neck pain is unrelated to the nodes.

Has anybody else been anxious over their nodes? The whole thing has been at the back of my mind most of this year. It's beginning to worry me because if it really is cancer then I've given it months to spread. I have no money for my doctor so I'm not sure how what to do if waiting it out doesn't work.

Re: Lymph nodes have me worried

Quote Originally Posted by eminence View Post
    Has anybody else been anxious over their nodes?
    I'll cut ya some slack because you're new but there's three node threads on the first page on the HA section alone. Does that answer your question?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

ahhh the good ole node scare, im very familiar just take a look at my thread history lol. but seriously though, the only place to get advice is from your doctor, i've been around and around for a year now and still worry at times. statistically you do not likely have cancer, statistics show that a person under the age of 40 with swollen/palpbale lymph nodes in the neck have a 0.4% of having cancer, over 40 they have a 4% of having cancer, so you see those are pretty low odds. anyways i suggest seeing a doctor before your anxiety really sinks in, don't be like me and wait months before seeing a doc, because by then you will likely have convinced yourself that you have cancer and no matter what the doc says you will likely still believe you have cancer, you will be stuck in a vicious cycle.

I went to my doctor today to dismiss my anxieties. I hoped he would dismiss it as nothing or find out I had some kind of infection. Instead I got my blood taken to check my red and white blood cell counts.

I'm waiting on the results to come back and the anxiety is killing me. I haven't eaten in two days and just want to go to sleep until I get get given the news.

Anybody else with lymph node scares get their blood taken? Was my doctor doing this as a precaution?

The waiting is the worst, isn't it. I'm sorry. I know that feeling so well.

Personally I'm afraid my doctor just felt my neck node and said it was ok and sent me on my way. However, I'm in the UK so things are different! Your doctor may just be being cautious.

Hopefully everything comes back fine. Statistically, it should do.

Thanks for the concern o_o

The neck pain is driving me up the wall. My doctor explained that it could be due to a strain or injury. The discomfort isn't there in the morning, but grows over the day until turning my head is slightly painful. I can't tell if it is coming from the lymph nodes, I'm hoping it's unrelated.

I had a similar thing too! I had a swollen lymph node on neck near my ear. Turned out it was from a sinus infection. I took antibiotics and it went down some but it’s still there. I notice that when I touch it more, it becomes more prominent. My doctor also told me a lymph node can take many months to go down and may never go down! I think, like me, once you stop touching it, it will be fine.

Also, mine was sore because I kept moving my head, touching it, straining my neck, etc.

Our doctors sounds right jordan. When I asked about my lymph nodes, my doctor told me that some just don't die down completely and then showed me one sticking out of his own neck.

I feel like I've calmed down regardless of what the result is going to be. I doubt lymph nodes the size of peas could be causing my neck to ache anyway, pretty sure my posture is to blame for that.

I'm going to stay off of this computer for a few days and get plenty of exercise and rest. Still waiting on the blood test results, it's insane how long it takes. I feel pretty silly getting worked up over lumps my doctor couldn't even feel but that's H.A for you.

I used to worry loads over my lymph nodes. I remember finding a pea sized lump on my neck and totally freaking out, I saw the dr and they said it would go away by itself - and it did occasionally they swell up, especially if we get colds/infections and stuff. I know it is horrible once you start having the scary thoughts though. They sort of set in and send us spiralling. Hope you feel better soon.

My blood tests came back as normal. I received them online with an "OK" next to every level to show that my doctor saw nothing wrong. For the last week I've been pretty calm and most of the time forgot about the issue entirely.

While in bed tonight I felt my nodes again for the first time since my visit. I felt another lump on the right side of my neck, near the other two and just as large. I also think I feel a few smaller ones in the area. Naturally I turned to google and am now just totally confused. I've learned that blood test results are not an accurate indicator, especially in the early stages of cancer.

The lumps in my neck are in the posterior cervical triangle, which is meant to be a common place to find lymphomas. If it IS lymphoma then it has grown so slowly over so many months, and slow-growing lymphomas are meant to be very rare in younger people. What could this possibly mean? Statistically I should be totally fine BUT the lumps ARE there, they're in the right place and I'm pretty sure only more are showing up. I don't know whether to trust the statistics and wait or go with what else I've read along with my gut and go get a second opinion.

I was nervous before but now I'm seriously concerned for my future. I'm constantly swinging between feelings of panic and relaxation. It hasn't been 7 days since my visit and I'm already having doubts I'm healthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information