Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling of swaying and falling during anxiety

Feeling of swaying and falling during anxiety

Hello.

I have this feeling of swaying like I'm on a boat when I have anxiety. It also comes with this feeling of falling or suddenly dropping trough the floor.

I've had anxiety and depression for years now. My first medication started when I was 13-14. I'm 23 now.

During the years I've been on various medication. I've been mostly prescribed Anti-psychotic and SSRI/SNRI -drugs.

My symptoms of swaying started when I was 18. My anxiety at the time was off the roof and I somehow dwelled into this state that resembled a psychosis in my opinion. The doctor diagnosed me with psychotic depression.

During that time period of being very anxious I suddenly started having these symptoms. There were times when I lost my ability to walk for example because of the feeling of swaying and being constantly off-balance.

So the psychiatric doctor gave me this diagnosis of psychotic depression but they couldn't even tell what was the cause of my swaying. At the hospital they just tested that can I stand straight for example and just tested my heart-rate if some sort of blood pressure issues could've been the case.

It obviously wasn't. I do have high blood pressure though but I believe it's genetic. I don't have any heart issues and I don't think theres been much in my family.

So it's not a regular type of dizziness that I'm experiencing and I believe that I can separate these from each other.

Once I saw the doctor at 18 years old I was institutionalized and treated at a hospital. I started taking all these meds again and somehow over the time my anxiety went away and I was capable of living a more normal life.

Once my (as the doctors described) psychotic behaviour started going away so did the swaying. I could walk without leaning on the walls and having to stop to lay on the ground and then start again.

The doctors described my walking as similar to claudication that a long-time alcoholic who has drunk their cerebellum to mush has. The symptoms were so bad I had to use a weelchair at the hospital because I felt so unsure about walking.

So years go by and I've had anxiety in different forms troughout these 5 years of my life. I have some pretty clear memories of being off-balance here and there and they have always been the cause of high anxiety.

So when these feelings come there hasn't appeared any other changes in my life compared to being in-balance than my anxiety. That gives me the benefit of the doubt that it's anxiety-related or that anxiety is the main cause of it; when I have high anxiety the feeling of swaying and falling comes again.

I've also noticed that I always get these symptoms during a period of long term anxiety. So it's not just a random feeling that comes and goes ever so often but more like when it does come it's there to stay and is hand-in-hand with the anxiety.

So long story even longer: after 5 years of the symptoms having to put me to the state of being unable to walk I have the same feeling of being on a boat again.

This has been going on for roughly about a year now but I feel that my anxiety is maybe slightly less extreme than back when I had this for the first time.

So that is positive and I feel like my train of thought is clearer because of it.

But it's still no joyride for me.

The fact that my mind is less foggy and that I can think clearer now has also led me to be worried and concerned about this in a different way than I was in my state of psychotic depression.

I feel worried that this is not going away. I have very high anxiety that has been building up along with the swaying symptoms now for over a year. I understand that I might not have these issues when im not anxious but that can take a long time knowing my history of mental health disorders.

I can function somehow at the moment. I eat my food, I feed my cat, I go to sleep etc. But I'm frustrated, anxious and in loss of energy living my life like this.

And I feel like the worst thing is that when I went to the doctor (for the 4th or 5th time this year) talking about my problems she did the same thing as always; she listened to my heart for a second or two and told me to eat something salty. So when I describe my symptoms the doctor is treating me as if I had low blood pressure or just regular dizziness...

I have propral and mirtazapine at the moment but haven't started eating those regularly atleast yet. I felt like the mirtazapine (15mg) could've helped because I have been on it before so it's not an completely unknown drug for me so I asked the doctor that because she or any other doctor can't even spot the problem let alone treat it somehow. So i took a 15mg one night and had an anxiety attack and pretty much felt terrible the next day. I took one 7mg the next day and continued feeling like shit so I layed off of that.

I would really want to know if any of you reading this have had the same type of symptoms and I would like to know what has helped you? I'm in a place of high anxiety right now and any help would be precious.

I feel hopeless living with this and the public healthcare can't help me at all. I went to a private doctor also and they couldn't help me at all either.

So I guess I'm left at my own devices here. If any of you won't response of course.

This was a long post and I apologize for the possible misspellings and such, english isn't my first language and not even my second.
    Last edited by o.c.d; 26-11-17 at 06:31.

Re: Feeling of swaying and falling during anxiety

Hi, you responded on my thread and I might be able to help you with yours.
    This symptom is extremely common with anxiety when at it's highest.
    It can be sub-concious as well as being totally aware that this feeling is with as you go about your day to day tasks.
    Firstly depression can be linked with anxiety and it is a depression that you may not see face on.
    The feeling you have can go away momentarily and even completely and my experience I jave managed both. Somehow, when you are more relaxed with your life and occupied with joyful tasks, it can subside completely without you even realising it.
    Unfortunately, there is no time factor and life can be quite difficult and scary to live with this motion feeling.
    Diverting the mindset to re-route your way thinking will help this, but it is not easy to do, but practice step by step will help, although sn exhausting method.
    There are many members on here that suffer with this and I hope you can get some responses that will help you.

Thank you for replying, Carnation.

That was a very insightful and thoughtful reply and I appreciate it.
    And a very good advice too.

I kind of already get that inside my head but am having much difficulties in "living the idea".

Acknowledging that idea might as well be a start, eh?
    I know I've been there, working through these problems.
    Without anxiety, depression and all of it's gifts that keep on giving.
    That shall be the goal every day of my life from now on.

I'm kinda dealing with this now :( its like you just can't stay still? I was at its worst last night when I felt it even trying sleep and I'm terrified it's a brain tumor

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

I feel you, I'm afraid also that it could be a lot of things... Being still is very difficult when I have this, you're right.
    When I get myself to go on a walk I usually find it the least bothering to me.
    Having to stand still is also more difficult than just sitting or laying still for example.
    Either way, it's not fun.

I didn't even sleep last night... so it's worse cause I've been awake this long. Staying up all night amps my anxiety a lot.
    But I had to stay awake one night to get my sleeping schedule back in order...

How do you find yourself coping with this thing? Do you have any specific mechanisms?
    Last edited by o.c.d; 26-11-17 at 16:03.

The method is to train the brain to re-think 'brain tumour', into 'I am over-tired' or 'overthinking my thoughts'. You literally have to tell your brain that everything is ok, even say it out loud.
    I find a tip of rubbing my stomach in a circular fashion very soothing when anxious or can't sleep. It also helps digestion.
    The stomach and brain are very closely linked and feed from each other.

OK my whole story is this. Last mouth around the 25th I found my slef swaying slightly backwards and I was like wth? Then my eyes started to get blurry and unfocused (still kinda are bit have gotten better to a point) that went away but started to get headaches wich lasted for a few weeks till this past weekend when it turned into this dizzy feeling all the time. Iv been nuts with my anxiety since last summer so idk...and since It just stared happening I don't have a coping mechanism just yet.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Damn, I feel you... Going through something similar to that. I hope you'll find your own coping mechanisms within time. I'm trying to do the same thing...

Carnation, that's very clever thinking again, you have pretty good advice in a way that is easy to understand on a practical level.

That's not much that I have not experienced with anxiety o.c.d.
    Anxiety, which is actually Fear! Well, it can manifest all sorts in your brain and body.
    I know the coping mechanisms and the patterns of the dragon, it just depends on your strength and position at the time.
    It's like a bottling kettle. Eventually it will spill over if not turned off.
    Deal with bits at a time. Take baby steps, don't overload your brain and test your courage on a small scale to begin with and allow yourself to have bad days and make sure you really enjoy the good days. x

Exclamation Re: Feeling of swaying and falling during anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by o.c.d View Post
    Hello.

I have this feeling of swaying like I'm on a boat when I have anxiety. It also comes with this feeling of falling or suddenly dropping trough the floor.

I've had anxiety and depression for years now. My first medication started when I was 13-14. I'm 23 now.

During the years I've been on various medication. I've been mostly prescribed Anti-psychotic and SSRI/SNRI -drugs.

My symptoms of swaying started when I was 18. My anxiety at the time was off the roof and I somehow dwelled into this state that resembled a psychosis in my opinion. The doctor diagnosed me with psychotic depression.

During that time period of being very anxious I suddenly started having these symptoms. There were times when I lost my ability to walk for example because of the feeling of swaying and being constantly off-balance.

So the psychiatric doctor gave me this diagnosis of psychotic depression but they couldn't even tell what was the cause of my swaying. At the hospital they just tested that can I stand straight for example and just tested my heart-rate if some sort of blood pressure issues could've been the case.

It obviously wasn't. I do have high blood pressure though but I believe it's genetic. I don't have any heart issues and I don't think theres been much in my family.

So it's not a regular type of dizziness that I'm experiencing and I believe that I can separate these from each other.

Once I saw the doctor at 18 years old I was institutionalized and treated at a hospital. I started taking all these meds again and somehow over the time my anxiety went away and I was capable of living a more normal life.

Once my (as the doctors described) psychotic behaviour started going away so did the swaying. I could walk without leaning on the walls and having to stop to lay on the ground and then start again.

The doctors described my walking as similar to claudication that a long-time alcoholic who has drunk their cerebellum to mush has. The symptoms were so bad I had to use a weelchair at the hospital because I felt so unsure about walking.

So years go by and I've had anxiety in different forms troughout these 5 years of my life. I have some pretty clear memories of being off-balance here and there and they have always been the cause of high anxiety.

So when these feelings come there hasn't appeared any other changes in my life compared to being in-balance than my anxiety. That gives me the benefit of the doubt that it's anxiety-related or that anxiety is the main cause of it; when I have high anxiety the feeling of swaying and falling comes again.

I've also noticed that I always get these symptoms during a period of long term anxiety. So it's not just a random feeling that comes and goes ever so often but more like when it does come it's there to stay and is hand-in-hand with the anxiety.

So long story even longer: after 5 years of the symptoms having to put me to the state of being unable to walk I have the same feeling of being on a boat again.

This has been going on for roughly about a year now but I feel that my anxiety is maybe slightly less extreme than back when I had this for the first time.

So that is positive and I feel like my train of thought is clearer because of it.

But it's still no joyride for me.

The fact that my mind is less foggy and that I can think clearer now has also led me to be worried and concerned about this in a different way than I was in my state of psychotic depression.

I feel worried that this is not going away. I have very high anxiety that has been building up along with the swaying symptoms now for over a year. I understand that I might not have these issues when im not anxious but that can take a long time knowing my history of mental health disorders.

I can function somehow at the moment. I eat my food, I feed my cat, I go to sleep etc. But I'm frustrated, anxious and in loss of energy living my life like this.

And I feel like the worst thing is that when I went to the doctor (for the 4th or 5th time this year) talking about my problems she did the same thing as always; she listened to my heart for a second or two and told me to eat something salty. So when I describe my symptoms the doctor is treating me as if I had low blood pressure or just regular dizziness...

I have propral and mirtazapine at the moment but haven't started eating those regularly atleast yet. I felt like the mirtazapine (15mg) could've helped because I have been on it before so it's not an completely unknown drug for me so I asked the doctor that because she or any other doctor can't even spot the problem let alone treat it somehow. So i took a 15mg one night and had an anxiety attack and pretty much felt terrible the next day. I took one 7mg the next day and continued feeling like shit so I layed off of that.

I would really want to know if any of you reading this have had the same type of symptoms and I would like to know what has helped you? I'm in a place of high anxiety right now and any help would be precious.

I feel hopeless living with this and the public healthcare can't help me at all. I went to a private doctor also and they couldn't help me at all either.

So I guess I'm left at my own devices here. If any of you won't response of course.

This was a long post and I apologize for the possible misspellings and such, english isn't my first language and not even my second.

OMG I have this.

It’s a rocking/swaying floaty boat sensation. For me it’s worsened after prolonged car travel which makes me think it’s mal de Debarquement syndrome. That’s my main fear as there’s no cure for that.

It started 2.5 years ago when I was hungover and had my first panic attack.

When you say yours went away, is that through medications? Are you on any now and has it returned because you’re off the medications?

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Hi, you responded on my thread and I might be able to help you with yours.
    This symptom is extremely common with anxiety when at it's highest.
    It can be sub-concious as well as being totally aware that this feeling is with as you go about your day to day tasks.
    Firstly depression can be linked with anxiety and it is a depression that you may not see face on.
    The feeling you have can go away momentarily and even completely and my experience I jave managed both. Somehow, when you are more relaxed with your life and occupied with joyful tasks, it can subside completely without you even realising it.
    Unfortunately, there is no time factor and life can be quite difficult and scary to live with this motion feeling.
    Diverting the mindset to re-route your way thinking will help this, but it is not easy to do, but practice step by step will help, although sn exhausting method.
    There are many members on here that suffer with this and I hope you can get some responses that will help you.
    Did you have this symptom - rocking/swaying floaty boat? How long did you have it for, did you go on meds to get rid of it? How long did it take to go away? Would it go away while in motion in a car, and get worse when you travelled long distances?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information