Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prozac - Anxiety/depression/panic

Prozac - Anxiety/depression/panic

Hi,
    Been suffering from Anxiety/depression/panic disorder for just over a year and have really just tried to ride it out. It's generally been up and down over the past year. I've finally decided to give medication a go. Doctor has given me 20mg Prozac to be taken daily. My aunty has suffered from Depression etc and she had a 6 month course of Prozac. She felt better after 4 weeks, stopped taking them after 6 months and felt better... permenantly.
    Do you think I've taken the right decision in finally giving them a proper go? Has anyone taken them before for Anxiety/depression/panic disorder (positive feed back only please)?
    Ta
    Bugster

hello Bugster,

I have never been on prozac but am on diffeeent meds. Some os us need meds to get better and others don't. If you have reached the point where you don't think you can cope alone anymore, then you are definetly doing the right thing!! Take care.

Sarah

hi buggy, I started Prozac 5 weeks ago I dont have so much depression i mainly have anxiety, [anic and phobia. At the moment my symtopms are worst, but was told to expect this before i get better. I was aon a comleter diferent antidepresant to for years befor i started prozec i was on a Ticyclic antidepresant, which might be another reason i dont feel better. but sa u said with your mum different meds work different with different people. hope they make you feel better soon. take care vernon

I took Prozac for about 9 months. It sorted the depression out.

Different people react differently but that was my experience.

I took myself off it in the end

Good luck and I hope it helps you.

Nicola

Buggy why do you worry so much about taking the meds?

i think i really know the answer because i have been there too. I worried about taking prozac for months before i actually took it but i grew to learn what a fool i was.
    Some people really need medication and i am one of those, just as you could be. i took Prozac for around five years and for the first 4 or so i was fine but after a while it just stopped working. So now i take another type of the same family and i am doing really well! Thats why i am not on this site much just lately. In fact for the first time in ten years i am really looking forward to Xmas.

Dont worry about taking tablets......nothing bad will happen....you can only get better. Anti depressants may not entirely cure your anxiety but the should help you cope with it.

All the best

Jonny.

It is a positive step you choosing to take the meds, and feedback suggest that they do work.

However pls remeber that there are things that have to be done in conjunction with them. Look at your lifestyle, diet, relaxation etc and perhaps see a counsellor. PLs don't hope for a miracle 'cure' with them

Accept them for what they are . Something to help you 'get through' the bad times

lucky

Hi Jon - long time no see mate. Hope you are well.

Just one thing about what you said ..

"Dont worry about taking tablets......nothing bad will happen....you can only get better. Anti depressants may not entirely cure your anxiety but the should help you cope with it."

Not always true I am afraid. I was a good example as they helped the depression but didn't touch the anxiety and they are not a miracle cure. There is so much work that has to be done as well.

Good to see you are going to enjoy Xmas this year

Nicola

Thank u all for your replies! God you were joking when you said they would make you feel worse before they make you feel better! Had a panic attack today for the first time in about a year. But I live in hope. Seeing a counsellor next tuesday for the first time so hopefully that will help too. I'm also changing my life style.

Sorry, was meat to say
    "God you WEREN'T joking when you said they would make you feel worse before they make you feel better..."

This is entirely normal - to get worse first - so hang in there and it passes soon.

Good news about counsellor and changing your life style .

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information